Group Effort

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from IPD_Mrs

IPD_Mrs

This is a black ash burl Jr. Statesman. The wood was from Nolan and is actually from two different blanks, although most likely the same burl. Linda did the turning which was rather nerve racking as it is loaded with eyes and inclusions. And finally I did the CA finish.

1_babjrstate.jpg

Mike

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

stoneman

Great looking pen - nice tag team effort. Bill sent me a piece of black ash burl with my last A.S. order - guess I'll have to give it a whirl. Very nice!

IPD_Mrs

Nice job on the pen and GREAT match-up of the different blanks.. looks like they belong together :)

Dave

Thanks Dave,

I'm guessing that they probably do belong together. If you could actually see the pen you would see that the lines of the burl and graining match up identically as does the coloring of the blank. Both blanks came from Nolan at the same time and likely were cut together side by side. Mike blew out the nib side of the first one when we got the wood around a year or so ago when we first started purchasing from Nolan. We made another one of the group which we sold around Christmas have another in an Art Gallery and then I blew the cap end on the 4th turning after I learned of Eagle's death (no I shouldn't have been turning but I was.)

I was going to put something else on the cap as it was such a pretty burl, but when I came across Mike's older cap piece I decided to give it a shot. It had been drilled for a smaller pen (Euro I think ...) so we redrilled and I turned it ...

I was amazed at just how well it did match up. This says a great deal about Nolan's ability to work magic with his wood! The cuts are gorgeous and all we did was finish it up :)

Mrs.

Top Bottom