A group of desk pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Tom McMillan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom McMillan

Here's a goup of desk pens. I'm getting ready for a sale the next 2 weekends and thought I'd share these with you. The left middle and right are Bethlehem olivewood---I've shared the one on the right before (left and right have ebony accents & the middle has a black veneer cross). The left of center is cocobolo and yellowheart, the one to right of center is kingwood and holly (the center bands on these appear off center---but, they're not--guess it was the angle I took the photo from).

20041221286_deskpenbrdhses%20010.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Tom McMillan

Thanks Dale---I do appreciate the comment---Your work is most awesome---I feel privileged to be in the contest against such talented individuals!!!! Will, of course, look forward to the results---but, win or lose---it really was a fun thing to do---especially, since so many participated----really, though, thought there would be more entries in the advanced category---wow a lot of the others look like they should be there---(please know that's not a criticism about where anyone entered---I'm really awestruck at the work being done by all!!!!)

PenWorks

Beautifull desk sets Tom, I would be proud to have any of them (preferably all of them) on my desk. Got to ask two things....How is the balance while in the stand and what is your sales price if I am not being to nosey ?

Tom McMillan

Thanks Anthony---I find the balance in the stand to be good---I know when I originally showed the one to the Yahoo group---Richard K. was concerned about that too. But I find they are not tippy at all---it would take a bit to knock them over. Regarding my sales price---well, I'm likely low---but I have priced them at $40 each---of course, would always appreciate comments about that---if others think I'm too low---I might re-evaluate my pricing. Always appreciate the input of my IAP friends!!!!

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
I'm with you on your pricing, Tom. I'm looking at $30 or more for the pen and $10-15 for the stand. A price of $40-50 seems about right to me, for what it's worth. [8D]

daledut

Tom,
I agree with you that many of the pens in the lower catagories could have been in the advanced class. I am just glad that I am only in the advanced and not competing against all those others.[8D]

And as Tom said that is not a cut against anyone, the contest has been great fun.

Tom, As to price, you will have to be the final judge of what the market will bear, but I think it is too low. I would sell those pens alone for $35 to $45, so with the stands added in I would think $50 to $60 would be reasonable.

wayneis

Tom I think that if you went accross the board and doubled all of your prices you would then be in the ball park You're too nice buddy, you can't be afraid to charge. Remember its a whole lot better to be able to offer a sale to someone, sometimes I find that if I tell a customer that I'll give them a deal it clinches the sale right there. You will wqlk away happy.

Wayne

PenWorks

Well just finished my work for tonight, I tell you guys the story tomarrow. Tom your to cheap! I don't know your market or the area you sell. But if it is in my store, it is a35.00-45.00 pen 20.00 for the base and an extra 10 because it is a matching set. Starting price is 75.00 and you can allways go down as Wayne said and give them a deal. Your work is way to nice and the quality of the materials way to good to sell yourself to low. And if you don't sell them at the show. I will take all five sets for $35.00 gauranteed and put them in my store. Sorry, I didn't mention I was cheap. It is the Diego in me. Good luck at the show.

Tom McMillan

Hi Gary---I get the little "penholders" I call them---have purchased some from Craft Supplies (Woodturner's Catalog) and some from Woodcraft---I don't think Woodcraft has them in their catalog---but if you do a good enough search on their website they have 2 sizes---I got mine at the Woodcraft Store.

PenWorks

Tom, if I am willing to pay 35.00 per set, that should be a basis of the wholesale price or somewhere around there. So at the retail level, that would be at least 70.00-80.00 per set. Glad your repricing and hope they fly off the table. Anthony

Tom McMillan

Thanks Anthony---I really appreciate your offer---and I'll see how the shows go, as I would like to try them first---I have one each of the next 2 Saturdays----a juried Farmer's Market Holiday show that will be inside. I may do one more Saturday if possible after seeing how I do the next 2 and evaluating how much product I have left and if there's room for me for the thrid weekend. Anyway, when I'm done with the shows I'll let you know if I have anything left, and if you're still interested. Believe me, your offer is very, very much appreciated. I will say it again: IAP Members are AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!

PenWorks

Tom, I need to make a pen and base for an occassion, Remembered yours, and I have all the parts, about what is the size of the base? Thanks, Anthony

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom