Griz Pen - Learning to photograph better

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Stango

Stango

Here is an attempt to do a better job of photographing my pens. This is a blank intended to mirror the colors of the University of Montana.

Trying to figure out color balance..... all comments welcome... good bad and ugly.

Griz Pen = Blank by Brooks803

GrizP2.jpg

GrizP1.jpg

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ProutyBoy

In the first picture, I see two light sources...maybe your flash and maybe a light that was on the in the house? The white balance looks off. This is caused by incandescent lighting. Even the newer "whiter" light bulbs are still pretty yellow. I would maybe turn that second light off and set up some white foam core around to bounce the flash off of.

In the second picture, it looks like you had some pretty "harsh" lighting. Looks like you shot directly down from overhead. Preferably, if you can buy or build one, shoot in a light tent through the opening in the front cover. This will also get rid of your reflection as seen in both images. Or at minimum, get some sort of diffuser on that flash. If it's on-cameral flash, I usually put some wax paper over the flash. This will soften and disperse the flash and soften the shadows. If it's a flash head attached to the camera, there's some pretty affordable ready made diffusers that will do an excellent job.

BTW, neither pic is bad and the pen is beautiful. Just thought I'd throw in my $.02 (which, after taxes, is really only worth $.005)

Rfturner

I would say the same thing as proutyboy.

The main thing that I would change is the stick that you used it is overpowering visually, especially in the second picture. I encourage you to continue using objects in the photography. You might come across something that works really well.

Build or buy a photo tent it makes a world of difference in lighting. Good job on the pen

glycerine

more light. Maybe diffuse it. They look a little grainy, so probably more light would lower the ISO or you can lower it yourself depending on what type of camera you have. But in either case, your image will be sharper with more lighting and a lower ISO setting.

Stango

OK here is what I get when I try to take your suggestions into account..... more comments always welcome !

Thanks !

SpaltedMapleblack5-19-10.jpg

Stango

THANKS ! I keep trying new stuff and am enjoying it all..... even the failures !!

I think I am getting better at taking the pics but still a llong way to go.

Thanks for all the feedback.... it helps (I think)

Good work on the Griz pen!

Stango

Thanks everyone..... my bad...... I just found out there is a forum on here for photographing pens... duh.... oh well.... I really appreciate the feedback and now I know where to post Photo questions !!

Top Bottom