grenadillo Sierra

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from KingBubbaTruck

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is from a blank I got from Dave. Some Genadillo. It actually has a bit more of a green hue than this picture shows. The pen is actually about half green/half brown...

Nice wood though...

20065135325_grenadillo_sierra.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
As far as the kit goes, It's a pretty easy one (Only the single tube).

It's not my favorite to write with, as it feels a little small for me, and I tend to enjoy the larger types of pens. But It does have a good feel, and a smooth transmission.

The first one I turned it a little fat in the center, and this one was pretty much a straight B2B. I've got one more kit, and I think I'll do something a little more in the middle.

I tried putting a CA finish on the grenadillo, but For some reason it just didn't work out. So I went to my standby FP, which I think actually works well on some of these denser woods. I always seem to have better luck on my CA finish on lighter, more porous woods, or at least that's my thinking this week.

[|)]

Woodnknots

Nice pen KBT! I have made one cigar from some grenadillo root ball, but that one cracked after a bit, not sure what the factors were in that. If it was the wood, how it was stored, etc... But the root was like concrete compared to the log, so I'm sure you won't have that same problem. It is an interesting wood, to say the least.

chitswood

Originally posted by KingBubbaTruck
<br />

I tried putting a CA finish on the grenadillo, but For some reason it just didn't work out. So I went to my standby FP, which I think actually works well on some of these denser woods. I always seem to have better luck on my CA finish on lighter, more porous woods, or at least that's my thinking this week.

[|)]

Yeah, thats granadillo(grenadillo) I wonder where the word difference stems from.

Really hard wood from Mexico, Shines like light, won't accept CA cause ts so dense, color varies from orange/red to almost blue/brown, reminds me of Machiche and Billy webb, but less brittle.

Granadillo is closely related to Monkey Pod.

What'd you think of this wood? Would you turn it again?

I generally avoid it unless its for segmenting with brighter woods

This particular blank had a bit of a crack in it, but I drilled kind of offcenter (Something I typically do, but not usually on purpose[:D] ) and managed to miss it. There was a bit of a crack still visible, but a little CA and sandpaper filled it right in.

The picture doesn't really show it, but on one side it's more green, and theres a diagonal line going through where it transitions to a dark brown.

Thanks for the blank!

Woodnknots

Originally posted by chitswood
<br />
Originally posted by KingBubbaTruck
<br />

[|)]

Yeah, thats granadillo(grenadillo) I wonder where the word difference stems from.

Really hard wood from Mexico, Shines like light, won't accept CA cause ts so dense, color varies from orange/red to almost blue/brown, reminds me of Machiche and Billy webb, but less brittle.

Granadillo is closely related to Monkey Pod.

What'd you think of this wood? Would you turn it again?

I generally avoid it unless its for segmenting with brighter woods

I got a small section of a small log from a friend of mine that brought it up from Mexico. I'm going to ask him to get me some more if he goes back down there to visit family. He calls it Mexican Fence Post (MFP) because they use it for fence posts down there. I had to do the research to find out that it's grenadillo. He gave me a small root ball of it as well, but that stuff cuts like rock on the BS and the lathe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom