Greetings! (again)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from das225

das225

I posted an intro earlier today (in the appropriate section) but forgot to include any pictures of my work... so here they are!

I'm working on getting proficient at the whole segmenting element of this stuff. Tips/criticism welcome and would be appreciated!

Attachments

• Winter Break Pens.jpg
    Winter Break Pens.jpg
    193.7 KB · Views: 245
  • 20170817_124543.jpg
    20170817_124543.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 205
  • 20170817_124444.jpg
    20170817_124444.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 217
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

OZturner

Quite a Collection of Pens Daniel.
Great Assortment of Blanks, Nicely Turned and Finished.
Though for me I would prefer to see the Profiles a little Slimmer, Like me they are somewhat "Overweight".
This is a "Normal" occurrence with turners when they start out, it is somewhat terrifying to see just how much of the Blank has to be removed, but with Practice and Perseverance, you will soon be confident and comfortable, turning a "Straight or Near Straight" Pen.
I look forward to seeing more of your work.
Congratulations,
Brian.

PenPal

Love your pens then the segmented one is up there with the best.

Shaping is so personal and in my view all your pens have departed from the norm and will find willing acceptance,far rather have full pens than skinny.

You made a mark for yourself and I will follow your pens in the future. So well done.

Kind regards Peter.

magpens

You have sparked my interest in your work also, although I think you are overdoing it on the "fat" side, in some cases (particularly the white Virage in the middle of 1st pic).

I do like your approach to segmenting.

Am wondering if the black separations are all individual pieces of veneer (one possibility), or if you have developed some other means of achieving the segmented look.

Very well done, and congratulations !!!! . Your photos are excellent !

Last edited:

das225

You have sparked my interest in your work also, although I think you are overdoing it on the "fat" side, in some cases (particularly the white Virage in the middle of 1st pic).

I do like your approach to segmenting.

Am wondering if the black separations are all individual pieces of veneer (one possibility), or if you have developed some other means of achieving the segmented look.

Very well done, and congratulations !!!! . Your photos are excellent !

Thank you for the very kind words! The pieces of veneer running perpendicular to the length of the pen are individual. Those were by far the most time intensive and tricky to work with. I covered the veneer (dyed maple) with blue painters tape to help ensure a clean hole on the drill press. I think I cracked at least one while assembling directly onto the tube. I tried assembling without the tube first, but that proved to be a mistake... it's nearly impossible to keep the centers of each individual piece lined up.

magpens

Thanks for your reply.

What about the pieces of veneer which are parallel to the pen axis ?

It must be tricky to hold them in position along with holding the small "main" pieces at the same time.

You can make them oversize to a certain extent and then you have to do some trimming after the glue has set.

Seems like a pretty tedious and time consuming process if I am right about your method

wood128

That is the beautiful Brick Pattern in segmenting. Well done. One of the first and easiest patterns to learn.
Dan, if you have any questions and need any help in your learning process of segmenting .........just ask. I would be glad to help . My segmented pen blanks are listed for sale on www.exoticblanks.com

Last edited:

das225

Thanks for your reply.

What about the pieces of veneer which are parallel to the pen axis ?

It must be tricky to hold them in position along with holding the small "main" pieces at the same time.

You can make them oversize to a certain extent and then you have to do some trimming after the glue has set.

Seems like a pretty tedious and time consuming process if I am right about your method

Ah - I rip my blank in half lengthwise and glue in a sheet of veneer. Once that's dry, I turn it 90 degrees and rip it again. This leaves a "cross" running through the blank. I cut this into ~1/8" pieces and drill each piece individually (this is where improving precision early on would save a lot of time...) and assemble on the tube with the individual veneer pieces in-between.

I learned this from RBJ woodturner - he has a video on youtube demonstrating this exact technique. It still is tedious. I think I spent 2 hours in total building the blank... which actually turned into 4 since I messed up the first one. I don't have a table saw so I spend a chunk of time smoothing out the bandsaw's markings... another opportunity to save time.

das225

That is the beautiful Brick Pattern in segmenting. Well done. One of the first and easiest patterns to learn.
Dan, if you have any questions and need any help in your learning process of segmenting .........just ask. I would be glad to help . My segmented pen blanks are listed for sale on www.exoticblanks.com

Wow! Super cool to hear from you, Joe. I've seen your work in Dawn and Ed's emails and I'm always amazed with the precision in your work. Do you use an indexing wheel to align the layers at such a consistent offset?

magpens

Thanks for your reply to my questions, and thanks for detailing your methods.

I am going to try something like you have done so let's hope for the best ! :)

wood128

Wow! Super cool to hear from you, Joe. I've seen your work in Dawn and Ed's emails and I'm always amazed with the precision in your work. Do you use an indexing wheel to align the layers at such a consistent offset?

No indexing wheel. The glue up process is all done by hand.......eye , hand coordination .....just takes practice to get the alignment right. Requires time to let the glue dry properly ........so I work on 2-3 segmented blanks one after another. :) The more time you spend , the better your precision ........and there are many mistakes :mad::mad:

Top Bottom