GreenLacewood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from splinter99

Status
Not open for further replies.

splinter99

I took pics step by step of the dying process..this was the first time I have ever tried it with lace wood..I'll post the tutorial as soon as I figure out how:)

Copper slimline with green dyed lacewood

2007851447_gl.jpg

thanks for looking

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
Okay. It's been awhile. Can you tell me how you managed to get such a beautiful color in this lacewood?

splinter99

First, use a wood that will allow the grain to show through, some of the ones I have had success with are tiger maple, buckeye burl, lacewood, briar burl and corncob
Cut and drill your blanks glue in the tubes and face the barrels as usual, mount and turn to size. only sand to about 600 grit Here I am using lace wood

tutorial-02.jpg

This is the brand of food coloring I use. It is available from sugar craft http://sugarcraft.com/catalog/coloring/liquid.htm

tutorial-03.jpg

Just a few drops on a paper towel
tutorial-04.jpg

Apply the food coloring until the blank Is a uniform color
tutorial-05.jpg

Let it dry for a few minutes then give it a quick coat of B.L.O.
I now do a CA/B.L.O. finish. I apply a few drops of b.l.o. to the paper towl, I apply the ca just below the moistened part of the towel, one pass across the blank and then move the applicator down and smooth out the ca with the section moistened with blo

tutorial-07.jpg

I do 6 coats of medium ca, let cure a few minutes then a light spray of accelerator..
I then lightly sand starting at 3200 micromesh to 12000 micromesh
A light coat of Mc Guires scratch and swirl remover then buff
tutorial-10.jpg

fernhills

Hi,thanks for your tips,i have been doing a lot of dyeing with anniline dyes,i think the dyes what ever type really give a so so blank a real kick and it isn`t that much more trouble then normal,i come to think,perhaps i`m wrong but they look just as good as dyed stabilized blanks which cost 3-5 bucks a shot.Like you,once the dye is on i use micro mesh to smooth and then use brown paper bag.then CA and PP

TBone

Harold,

Thanks for the tips and the VERY clear pictures. You should try hitting the nail and not the end of your thumbnail, it's missing a chunk [:D][:D]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom