Green Turtle Shell

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from InvisibleMan

InvisibleMan

I made this one at least a couple months ago, but never got around to showing it I guess. It's a prototype, really, but it ended up being my desk pen at work. I absolutely love how it writes.

I got a tortoise shell pen from Shawn, and liked it so much I decided to try to make a similar blank with PR. This is the result. My Turtle Shell:biggrin:. Pain in the butt to make, but fun at the same time.

It's 14mm cap threads, no clip. #6 polished Bock nib. I even managed to smooth the nib.

Comments, questions, etc., welcome. Thanks for looking.

8026663_orig.jpg

2855350_orig.jpg

2581550_orig.jpg
9246924_orig.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

alxe24

I don't care much for the transparency of the pen, but I must say congrats and wow for the work you did. I'm quite impress and also I'm surprise how it looks so clean inside. Did you smooth out the inner walls at all?
Regards

InvisibleMan

Thanks! Ya, transparency is either love or hate. I happen to like it myself, but only really if it was meant to be that way.

I did polish the inside of the pen. It's pretty good, but not great. I'd have done a better job had I known how much I'd like using the pen:redface:. I was really just testing the blank idea when I made the pen.

WoodLM

i as well love he pen! very cool! how do you polish the inside so well? anytime i use a transparent blank it always seems to look "fuzzy".

InvisibleMan

Thanks All. It was a fun project.

i as well love he pen! very cool! how do you polish the inside so well? anytime i use a transparent blank it always seems to look "fuzzy".

Thanks! I didn't spend a ton of time polishing but it came out pretty clear. I drilled with water to limit drill marks, then while the parts were still chucked up, wrapped a piece of 600 abranet around a punch rod and sanded at low speed. I then wrapped a piece of cloth around the punch rod and polished with plastic polish.

Next time I'll probably go through the colors with some old scraps of micromesh to try to get it perfect. It looks good, but has some very fine radial marks in spots.

jasontg99

You make blanks??? :biggrin::rolleyes: Looks great Lyle, but then again, that is what I expect to see from you!

BONUS: You will never be able to tell if you had an ink spill inside!

Jason

Last edited:

InvisibleMan

You make blanks??? :biggrin::rolleyes: Looks great Lyle, but then again, that is what I expect to see from you!

BONUS: You will never be able to tell if you had an ink spill inside!

Jason

Thanks! Yeah, I actually had to rinse the cap out before taking the photo. Funny how I didn't even notice it was a mess before I set the camera up:biggrin:.

Top Bottom