green pearl cigar pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from elody21

Status
Not open for further replies.

elody21

This is also a cast acrylic pen. So far in all three pens I used a pigment that is not clear along with pearl dust. Pearl dust can easily be found at stores like hobby lobby and micheals. This was in the soap making department.

2005119124953_greenpearl.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fred in NC

Beautiful pen, Alice. The color is great. You sure have the casting technique pat down!

Are you using both the colored soap pigments and pearl from Michael's?

elody21

Just the pearl dust is from Micheals. I got the opaque pigment from www.tapplastics.com. It is in a paste form and very concentrated. I am still looking for a good chocolate brown in an opaque pigment. Ther brown is closer to a terracotta.

ryannmphs

Very nice pen. I havn't looked yet but are they any direction on how to make your own acrylics? Not that I have the time right now, but someday I would like to make my own.

Ryan

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Ryan...the sites that have been listed will take you straight to the pages to buy the resins and hardeners. Each one mixes and sets up a little different. You will also want some dry dyes and fillers, also available at these sites. I think each of us have used different supplies and suppliers, so one size doesn't fit all. The BEST advice I can give you is check out the sites based on whoever's acrylics you like best. After that, it's all experimental. If you want, feel free to email me and I'll let you know who I use and what hasn't worked (along with the few that have).
Originally posted by ryannmphs
<br />Very nice pen. I havn't looked yet but are they any direction on how to make your own acrylics? Not that I have the time right now, but someday I would like to make my own.

Ryan

bajacrazy

Alice, beautiful pen. Seeing all these great looking cast acrylic pens has got me really anxious in getting all the necessary materials and trying some [:D]

jkirkb94

Lovely looking pen, Alice! Your photography is great also. I may just have to quit scanning and get out some macro lenses out of storage and start doing conventional photography again! Sometime give us a brief rundown on how you are casting the material. Kirk[8D]

elody21

I am using casting craft casting resin. They also have a casting epoxy that is one part to one part. Even though it seems easier I read somwhere that all epoxys yellow in time.
I am using opaque pigment from www.tapplastics.com and the pearl powder I use is actually from hobby lobby found in the soap making dept. I think for this pen I mixed pigment and pearl dust together added the catalist and then added some extra pearl dust and just mixed slightly. Then I pour it into tubes coated with vaseline. let set over night. At one point someone said 7 drops to one once and I have found that is the perfect amount.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom