Green, I mean Gray celluloid

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from watch_art

watch_art

This pen is made from Green Mottled celluloid.
It's not exactly green though - more of a gray. Very pretty though.
It's 138mm open, 157mm capped, and 176mm long posted.
Section is 14.5mm thick, with 5/8" threads for cap to barrel.

019.JPG

024.JPG

023.JPG

025.JPG

020.JPG

021.JPG

022.JPG

026.JPG

027.JPG

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

watch_art

Thanks!
And yep - friction fit. I don't do threads on the back.
Unless I make a little pocket pen I won't either.

And definitely a pain to photograph. Every little fingerprint leaves a mark. I was constantly wiping at it and just gave up. :)

SDB777

Looks like you got this one polished up nicely! Another well done turning!!!!

How long does it take from start to finish on your pens now that you have had some experience making them? BTW, I'll be bringing a few blanks for you to work at Bob's next weekend....they're a 'see-through-ish' experiment:wink:

Scott (need another cup-o-joe) B

watch_art

Oh, with about a million breaks to pour koolaid and chocolate milk, macaroni and cheese, checking the mailbox, and other little things like that, I think this one took something like 4 hours? I really need to time myself on my next start to finish pen.

watch_art

Posting:
I don't think depth matters so much as does fit.
I have a pen made by John Brady that posts very securely but only about 15mm down the barrel. I have others that post 30 or 40 mm down.
What I try to achieve to get a cap to post securely is to make the end of the barrel the same diameter as the cap threads. So if my cap threads are 15mm, then I want the barrel to be about 15mm thick about 20-30mm in from the end. I use an open end box wrench to sort of measure this. I've made some that should post deeper, but b/c of the shoulder inside the cap they couldn't post.
Also the curvature of the barrel makes a big difference. A straight barrel that gently tapers to the end should post pretty easy - but if you've seen my pens you see I don't make anything straight. I like to push the curve in a little at the back of the barrel. Not necessary though. Experiment with shape there as some shapes will take posting better than others. The gray stripey pen that was very point I just made should have been postable, but b/c of the fat curve going out from the center line of the barrel, it doesn't even almost post.

posting by snennewton, on Flickr

Top Bottom