Green Deer Antler

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from rdunn12

rdunn12

A pen my neighbor turned from deer antler.It has a lot of green in it,what do you guys think?Thanks for looking,comments good or bad welcome.

2008791528_Picture%20014.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bitshird

Ronald, I've turned quite a bit of antler, I've not seen any with green bark, did he rub it with moss or something, or just dye it? I think it looks kind of cool, darned sure different. :D:D:D

jskeen

I've seen natural undyed antler turn up with reds, purples and olive green tones before, but that is the brightest green I've seen. Was the antler fresh harvested from a deer or a drop that was found?

As I understand it, most color in the interior of antler is due to bacterial growth in the material after it is shed and lays around for a while, but, as with any natural material, you never know.

I will say that it is probably rare, and would command a premium if it's natural, as opposed to dyed.

rdunn12

Nope no dye.It was found in the woods by a friend.The outside of the antler has a green tint almost like mold but it does'nt rub off.I made sure he took all the safety precautions when turning and sanding it.After it is cut you can look at it and see the green has penetrated into the antler.

Chasper

Good job keeping the bark intact, it is always a challenge maintain the outer exposure, and especially difficult to keep it and get the antler matched top to bottom like that. I've seen the green tint on antler before, I think it usually shows up on fresh antler. I would guess that this section of antler is from a deer that was harvested last fall or from a winter drop. It doesn't come off easy, I've bleached it off with hydrogen peroxite, but it takes a long soak to get it off.

JohnU

Ronald, The pen turned out GREAT! Like the others have said, rare should cost more. I too turn lots of antler. Ive gotten green color but not this green. Most of the green color Ive gotten in antler was because the antler was in a damp area. Most of mine is grey and purple. Nice find and turning. I think its always better when you can leave natural antler texture showing.

stoneman

Ronald,

I've not done much deer antler, but do search for moose antler sheds each spring and have seen a fair number with a green tint - always older antlers and usually found in damp locations. I assumed it was a mold or algea that caused the coloration. I have sandblasted it extensively and still only managed to weaken the green - it does not want to go away. Frankly, I've never turned any of these green pieces, but may try a few. Your's looks cool. Here is a picture on my brother-in-law with a moose antler he found last spring in a damp location and half buried in wet leaves and loose dirt (green end was down).

20087102313_Geen%20Antler.jpg

JohnU

"Wishing I were there!" I cant imagine finding a moose shed. I "try" to pickup whitetail sheds and have some luck once in a while. Has anyone ever told him he looks like the "Gordons" fisherman off the fish sticks box?

rherrell

I just finished turning a green one. It came from a rack that was outside on the ground for years. I suspect some kind of moisture related problem causes it.

Top Bottom