Green Baron

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from smoky10

Status
Not open for further replies.

smoky10

A farmer that I have made pens for, using his own wood, gave me a plank about 2ft. long, 18in. wide, and 1.25in. thick and said to make him 3 ladies pens(sl's) and 3 mans pens(barons). This wood came from a barn that was slave built in the 1850's. It is poplar and is the nastiest color of green I have seen since my Air Force fatigues of the 1960's. It is so dry that all that came off it was dust; no shavings, no ribbons, just dust. I have started 3 and cut 2 apart and this is the only one I have finished. I really don't like the color.[xx(]
The batteries are dead in my camera again so I used the scanner.

200571318745_green%20baron.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimGo

I am a fan of the color green in general, but agree with you about the color of this pen. At least there's some nice figure to the wood, and you did a nice job with the fit and finish!

elody21

Have you tried the rechargeable batteries especially for digital cameras? I use Monster Power batteries and charger and they last a very long time! Be prepared, they are expensive to begin with but are well worth it.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Tom,

Not my favorite color, but excellent finish-did the best with what you were dealt. Customer should be thrilled.

smoky10

I think I'll add a little more about the barn. The skeleton of the barn had no nails in it. It was mortise and tenon and pinned. The loft floor had square nails in it originally.

Alice, I do have rechargeable batteries but I don't take the time to charge them.[:I][:D]

Gary Max

Good looking GREEN pen Tom.
Heck I just made a couple of them out of the same kind of materail---I think they are going to be hard to sell.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Originally posted by Thumbs
<br />I bet they'd sell like hotcakes if you outed them at a hunting goods store! Or an Army surplus! [:)]

Or someone who is extremely fond of pea split pea soup.
It looks good considering what you had to start with.
I wonder what Lou see's?

Rifleman1776

I agree about the color, definately unappetizing. But it is what the customer wants. And the color of his money isn't much different and that usually looks beautiful. As old and dry as that wood is stabilization might be beneficial.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom