Green Applewood Trimline

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Band Saw Box

Band Saw Box

Passed Away Dec 8, 2021
In Memoriam
Hello Everyone
I tried my hand at making another blank, this time from applewood. The blank was cut from one of our apple trees (see picture) this morning. I dried it in our microwave, it took about 12 times at 30 seconds each time to get the weight to stabilize. I dyed the blank using food coloring and DNA. I'm happy with the way it came out, the applewood grain does not show all that well as it a really light colored wood but the green dye made the grain pop. I went with chrome plating because I though it made the green stand out more. Any and all comments are welcome.

Attachments

• IMG_0005.jpg
    IMG_0005.jpg
    406.1 KB · Views: 143
  • IMG_0002.jpg
    IMG_0002.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 319
  • IMG_0003.jpg
    IMG_0003.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 230
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SteveJ

I assume you soaked the blanks to get the color to saturate the blank. How long did that take? (I guess you could have colored them after turning to final shape!)

Keep up the good work!

Steve

Band Saw Box

Passed Away Dec 8, 2021
In Memoriam
Thank you Dan, Mike, Jonathon and Steve. Dan: I was hoping for that color. Mike; That is a great idea and I really want to give casting a try but that will have to wait until I get back to work. Jonathon this was may first time dying a blank. Steve I did not soak the blank, I turned it to size, sanded it to 600 grit and wiped the dye on I used 2 coats. I let it dry for about 2 hours, I used WTF and that took some of the dye back off with the first 10 coats. I did expect this to happen because of test I have done. This time it gave me the look and color I wanted.

SteveJ

Thanks Steve, I have yet to try CA as a finish, maybe I will one day.

If you have the WTF down well and get consistent results like what is shown, I wouldn't bother with the CA finish. I know you don't have buffing wheels yet, but once you get them, if you wait a day after putting on the WTF and then buff them you get a really nice high gloss look comparable to CA finish but far less irritating to your eyes!

Steve

Band Saw Box

Passed Away Dec 8, 2021
In Memoriam
Steve I'll keep that in mind when I get my buffing wheels, I'm very happy with WTF it seams to hold up very well. Leslie: Thanks for the nice comment how ever I cant take credit for the food coloring and DNA, Sharon (sbwertz) uses it and she is happy with how it works. Using DNA rather the water does not cause the grain to raise. Some have said that if you use food coloring as a dye the color will fade over time I don't know how true that is, I guess I see with this pen. I can tell you that I'm going to give it another try on down the line.

Band Saw Box

Passed Away Dec 8, 2021
In Memoriam
Thanks Brian for you nice comment. No pen turning today I need to do some maintenance on my dust collector. Any maybe to pens posted until after the MAGP in case I want to enter a contest.

Gary Beasley

Woodcraft has DNA soluble Transfast dyes but their green is a dark green. I'm wondering if there is a way to get that bright green from one of the wood dyes available. That would be really good for intarsia work.

Band Saw Box

Passed Away Dec 8, 2021
In Memoriam
Gary; I saw dye on Woodcrafts website, it did look a bit dark for what I wanted. You might be about brighten it up by using more DNA, I think the only way to know for sure would be to try it and see.

Top Bottom