Great way to use scraps.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from daledut

Status
Not open for further replies.

daledut

I made several bookmarks as small Christmas gifts for the members of the Sunday shcool class I teach.

This is a great way to use up those scraps you couldn't bear to through out.

20041218221236_Book%20marks.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wayneis

Order them from Craft Supply and you need a drill chuck and a special mandrel and some double sided tape. I've made some of their key chains and compact mirrors for the Ladies and they all use the same method. Just tape your wood or what have you to the mandrel and turn and sand.

Wayne

penhead

Local Chapter Leader
Personally, I think its discussion and information that would make an excellent thread in another folder called "other turned items".

Your vote counts: http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2233

Its these kind of things that I am betting we all do because they make excellent gifts...what else you gonna do with all those cutoffs.

And besides, those look really nice..!!

JohnPayton

daledut

Ryan at Woodturningz is where I got mine. He discounts them quite a bit over CSUSA.

I use my Collet chuck and made a mandrel out of a piece of 3/4" alluminum rod. I spray accellerator on the face of the mandrel and put a drop of CA on the scrap wood and stick it on.

I turn it and then part it off. Use a parting tool to clean up the mandrel face and ready for the next one.

I will have to chekc into the key chains that is a good idea.

Daniel

I bought 50 of these from Ryan quite a while back. didn't do much withthem till recently. i will try to get a pic of them tomorrow. i have a major cheat in making them. I glue a bunch of cut offs together, turn one end round than chuck it in my mini metal lathe. i ground a cutting tool to the profile for the front of the button and simply slowely feed this bit into the end of the blank. when it is cutting the full width of the button I sand it then use a parting tool to seperate it. when i am all set up I can crank out about 12 of these an hour. getting 3 to four of them per cut off piece.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom