Great Seal Pen with a Jeff Powell Blank

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from wizard

wizard

Been working on this a little at a time. Made with a Jeff Powell Rotacrylic Blank from Exotics......I'm remaking the lower with a larger diameter barrel. I'm trying to figure out what I want to do with the section and lower finial with regard to material and color. The current section and bottom finial which are only pieces from a kit (I think from Cambridge). Hard to match color of the red, white or blue color resin. The bands on the cap are stainless rings with heavy gold plate. Suggestions as to material and color would be appreciated. Nib is a Bexley extra-fine two tone nib. Thanks for looking.
Doc :)

Attachments

• Custom Pen_4.jpg
    Custom Pen_4.jpg
    179 KB · Views: 205
  • Custom Pen_1.jpg
    Custom Pen_1.jpg
    204.7 KB · Views: 267
  • Custom Pen_5.jpg
    Custom Pen_5.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 207
  • Custom Pen.jpg
    Custom Pen.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 192
  • Custom Pen_2.jpg
    Custom Pen_2.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 222
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

The blank looks great but that kit looks too bulky and really takes away from the blank. Out of proportion in my opinion.

wizard

The blank looks great but that kit looks too bulky and really takes away from the blank. Out of proportion in my opinion.

Hi John! Pen is very definitely out of proportion....I'm remaking the section and bottom finial which are the only pieces from a kit (I think from Cambridge). I'm trying to figure out what I want to do with the section and lower finial with regard to material and color. Hard to match color of the red, white or blue color resin. The bands on the cap are stainless rings with heavy gold plate. Suggestions as to material and color would be appreciated.
Doc:)

seamus7227

i like the direction you are going with this Shreenath, however, it does need some improvement dimension wise. Thank you for sharing and asking for suggestions too! I think the lower barrel threading should also be out of metal, but maybe thats because thats what im used to seeing all the time

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
Hi Doc,

Great looking pen. Looking forward to seeing it once you redo the lower barrel. What material did you use for the threads? Could you carry that down to the section? As far as the lower finial goes, I don't know. It would be be cool to have another seal or maybe a star on the bottom of the finial but as far as the finial itself I can't picture any solid color doing justice to the red and white stripe of the barrel or a multicolor finial that doesn't clash with the stripe.

jttheclockman

To me I would leave the lower barrel alone. if you want to put a star as suggested on the finial that maybe OK. The thing that jumps out at me is the upper cap. The bands make the barrel look short. They are too wide. The cap itself is too fat. It needs to go on a diet and that maybe a problem because of the insignia you put on the top. Now you may have to make the lower barrel fatter to compensate and make it heavier and maybe somewhat more awkward to write with. If you insist on that insignia why not incorporate it into the barrel if you could bend it.

Top Bottom