A Grateful piece of ash

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from DCBluesman

Status
Not open for further replies.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Continuing with the jigsaw puzzle pen, a different study in color and pattern...and an homage.

200571622616_GratefulPieceOfAsh%20copy.jpg

200571622649_LongStrangeTrip.jpg

Comments and critiques are welcomed.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
To paraphase Toby Keith, I got a great contact high just looking at this one!. If Jerry Garcia was still alive he would have to have this pen! Awesome innovation.

PenWorks

I have not been a fan of the puzzel....but I do like the ty dye and the Dead, makes me want to get my Jerry Garcia ties out. [:D]

timdaleiden

I like it. It's colorful and interesting.

From the picture it's hard to tell if you evened out the surface or left some tactile feel to the puzzle engraving. I think it would be nice either way, but I am just curious how you left the surface.

My only critique is the composite (top) photo is hiding the pen. The bottom photo looks very nice though.

JimGo

Very nice Lou! The rainbow effect doesn't overpower the puzzle pieces, and creates an interesting design. I think this may be my favorite of your puzzle pens so far. So, how many more are in the works? [:D]

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Before I get to the questions, I have to give "mad props" (my son's terminology) to Mike Amison at <b>Write N Things</b>. Without his patience I couldn't have even considered doing these. With the resizings, re-inkings, re-drawings and everything else I could throw his way (not limited to the kitchen sink), Mike hung in there with me until I was satisfied with the end result. Thanks, Mike!

I agree about the contact high, William. I re-lived the 60's through this one--only this time I remember them 60's! [:D]

Tony--thanks. Amazing that you like the coloring from a color-blind guy!

Tim--the piece has a lot of texture...part of the design. I even went back in and added quite a bit of texture before I started finishing. The first pic was just a little fun with PSE (which I clearly don't know how to use yet! [:D])

Jim--I don't think I've exhausted the possibilities of the puzzle yet (sorry, Tony! [:p])

Thank you all for looking and for the encouraging feedback.

BigRob777

Lou,
Hmmm, very puzzling. When I grow up, I want to be just like you. My wife hopes that is soon![:0] I finally get to work on my lathe tomorrow, then I'll be pestering you for finishing tips. I still have the paper you sent me on the subject. BTW, I love this pen. It gets me thinking of ideas for my own future creations. You are an inspiration.

WoodChucker

Lou, thanks for the flashback, it brought back some great memories! The pen looks awesome so the the patience paid off...nice work!

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
I'm not sure if I should click my heals together, buy a lollipop,look for a leprachaun,buy a coloring book or pass a doobie.
Where's my tie dye T-shirt?
You have given that Grateful piece of Dead Ash new life!

M

Mudder

[}:)] Sorry Lou, that pen is bad! [}:)]

In fact it's so bad that you need to send it to me for disposal so the world will not have to suffer through it. [;)]

Okay, I lied through my teeth [:D] Lou, you seem to raise the creative bar with every pen that you make. The color, finish and craftsmanship of this pen is top notch.

Sad that you cannot see the colors my friend, they are amazing.

Great Job.

BigRob777

Lou,
Ummm, how about both? But I don't plan to grow up. It isn't any fun. I am 45, act like i'm 20 and feel like I'm 60. Heck, I'd be happy with the average. College was a long time ago, but I think that would be 41.66666666666666666666667 roughly[:D].

Peninhandrjg

Lou,
I think Jerry might have simply said; "Far..'&^%&..Out"
I'm pretty sure you have caught in that pen the essence
of what being a Dead Head really is. What fond memories of that long strange trip. Thanks. Think I'll shut down the lathe and get the Martin out for wee bit.

jenamison

Lou again very nice job and thanks for the trust in my lasering! You help me grow and learn when you push yourself in creativity. And help us all to push through that next pen making barrier.[:)]

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Michael--we'll talk when you show me your latest! Hank--you'll get the secrets when you get back to the states...all the details you want. I owe you! [8D] Thanks to all of you who have taken time to view and/or comment on this pen. It's your feedback that inspires me to try new things. You folks are the greatest! [8D]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom