Grateful Dead Sierrra

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from bitshird

bitshird

I made my self a pen, it's a Decal I made on a Powdercoated Sierra tube and cast in one of Charlies Resin Saver molds, the Steal your face has a VW logo where the Lightning bolt usually is and since I'm just an old hippie with a love affair with the most noble of the German Vehicles and have been accused of attending Grateful dead Concerts(I don't remember that many) I had to make this just for me, Making the decals is easy I can't believe how simple it is to make them, also there is a little dancing Jerry Bear near the bottom. the kit is a TI and Chrome Sierra from Beartooth woods,

Attachments

• VW-Dead-3.jpg
    VW-Dead-3.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 341
  • VW-Dead-1.jpg
    VW-Dead-1.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 455
  • VW-Dead-2.jpg
    VW-Dead-2.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 307
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Drstrangefart

That is like almost too sweet for my to handle. You just discovered a way to make me insanely jealous. Now you need to make a decal of a 1969 Dodge A100 Sportsman window van.

jttheclockman

Ken

Can you give us a little run down on your procedure for making the decal?? I assume it is a water slide decal. I am wanting to give decals a try. Looking for the right program and procedure. Thanks and the pen did come out sharp. Thans for showing.

bitshird

Ken

Can you give us a little run down on your procedure for making the decal?? I assume it is a water slide decal. I am wanting to give decals a try. Looking for the right program and procedure. Thanks and the pen did come out sharp. Thans for showing.

John,
It's a waterslide decal, I found a picture, brought it in sized it and printed it in Microsoft word by importing it as an image from file, Powdercoating the tube I have an old Harbor freight set I bought a couple years ago, I sprayed 4 tubes, baked them at 375 for 20 minutes I think, the another 15 at 325 I believe, it's on the bottles of powder. I just bought some waterslide paper off the web, if you are careful and set your margins right in word you don't wast a lot of paper, but you need to do enough of one line to fill an entire 8 inches as possible, then you can cut the paper a t what ever width you want and not wast much. it doesn't have to be the same image, I did some for a fellow that has a bunch of different little logos and they are all mixed together so I didn't waste much paper. Stay away from the Testors, it's way to expensive, I paid right at a dollar for an 8-1/2 x 11 sheet, by buying 10 sheets. after you print the pictures on the decal paper spray at least two even coats of Krylon Crystal Clear Acrylic on it.
If you just printed one line cut the line off the rest of the sheet then spray it, don't get the spray on the unused paper.
I wet the decal for about 10 seconds and waited for it to loosen from the backing paper and slid it into place, I smoothed it with the surface of the paper it was on. a small piece of foam might work, but when I was a kid building models that's the way I rolled then; so why not now!
I let the decal dry for about an hour then took some EZ Glue thin CA and gently painted it on the decal and slightly over the edges, Be sure to cut the edges as close as possible, I found this out on a Tribal design that fortunately cracked when I tried to put the top section on crooked.. I let the CA dry over night and proceeded to cast in a Resin saver mold 3 drops per OZ 4 blanks cast 1 was a dummy 1 got ruined and two are OK but 1 is my pen.

You asked for it so there.

jttheclockman

Ken

John,
It's a waterslide decal, I found a picture, brought it in sized it and printed it in Microsoft word by importing it as an image from file, Powdercoating the tube I have an old Harbor freight set I bought a couple years ago, I sprayed 4 tubes, baked them at 375 for 20 minutes I think, the another 15 at 325 I believe, it's on the bottles of powder. I just bought some waterslide paper off the web, if you are careful and set your margins right in word you don't wast a lot of paper, but you need to do enough of one line to fill an entire 8 inches as possible, then you can cut the paper a t what ever width you want and not wast much. it doesn't have to be the same image, I did some for a fellow that has a bunch of different little logos and they are all mixed together so I didn't waste much paper. Stay away from the Testors, it's way to expensive, I paid right at a dollar for an 8-1/2 x 11 sheet, by buying 10 sheets. after you print the pictures on the decal paper spray at least two even coats of Krylon Crystal Clear Acrylic on it.
If you just printed one line cut the line off the rest of the sheet then spray it, don't get the spray on the unused paper.
I wet the decal for about 10 seconds and waited for it to loosen from the backing paper and slid it into place, I smoothed it with the surface of the paper it was on. a small piece of foam might work, but when I was a kid building models that's the way I rolled then; so why not now!
I let the decal dry for about an hour then took some EZ Glue thin CA and gently painted it on the decal and slightly over the edges, Be sure to cut the edges as close as possible, I found this out on a Tribal design that fortunately cracked when I tried to put the top section on crooked.. I let the CA dry over night and proceeded to cast in a Resin saver mold 3 drops per OZ 4 blanks cast 1 was a dummy 1 got ruined and two are OK but 1 is my pen.

You asked for it so there.

Thanks Ken. Are you spraying the Krylon on the decals before you dip in water and attach to the tube??? Does the spray make the decal stiff and harder to bend??? Or did I read that wrong??? Thanks.

azamiryou

Thanks Ken. Are you spraying the Krylon on the decals before you dip in water and attach to the tube??? Does the spray make the decal stiff and harder to bend??? Or did I read that wrong??? Thanks.

Inkjet inks will run if they get wet; the clear coat protects the ink from the water used to release the decal from the backing paper.

bitshird

Thanks Ken. Are you spraying the Krylon on the decals before you dip in water and attach to the tube??? Does the spray make the decal stiff and harder to bend??? Or did I read that wrong??? Thanks.[/QUOTE]

John, you spray the acrylic on before you soak the decal, and no it doesn't make it stiff or brittle,, if you soak the decal after printing then you would wash the ink off the paper the Clear Acrylic seals the ink.

jttheclockman

John, you spray the acrylic on before you soak the decal, and no it doesn't make it stiff or brittle,, if you soak the decal after printing then you would wash the ink off the paper the Clear Acrylic seals the ink.[/quote]

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH he says. Thanks:biggrin:

Gary Beasley

Inkjet inks will run if they get wet; the clear coat protects the ink from the water used to release the decal from the backing paper.

Anybody know how the Epson pigment inks do with this setup. They are waterproof but I have no idea how the act with Krylon or CA.

bitshird

Cool pen Ken. Did you attach the decals directly to the tube before casting? I need to get into casting.
Louis yes the decals were attached directly to the tube.

Anybody know how the Epson pigment inks do with this setup. They are waterproof but I have no idea how the act with Krylon or CA.

I'm not sure about Epson pigment inks, I'm using a Kodak Photo printer, but I don't think sealing the decals is a bad thing even with the pigmented inks, ,if the CA doeskin get you then I'm sure you would be all right, but I believe the Acrylic sealer is a vital part of the process, since that is actually what you are applying, is a layer of Acrylic paint with some ink on the back or underneath side of it.

maxman400

Nicely Done, I've only added decals to white PVC and light colored acrylic, I think I may have to go to HF and look the powder coating kits.

Top Bottom