Grapevine Zen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Jjartwood

Jjartwood

This is another one of those pens that was a mystery until it was turned.
I spotted some grape leafs high up in a tree and where there is leafs there has to be some vine around.
I followed the vine back till it got about 5/8 round and pulled my trusty pocket
knife,a few minutes later I had about 6 inches of grapevine,I let it dry for approx 6 mos and here is the end result.
Thanks for looking
Mark

Attachments

• IMG_1905.jpg
    IMG_1905.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 323
  • IMG_1906.jpg
    IMG_1906.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 249
  • IMG_1907.jpg
    IMG_1907.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 227
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Sweet!
I've got a LOT of that stuff & I've been wondering how it would work as a pen blank. It's definitely on my "gotta give it a try" list.

eranox

Apparently, I'm going to have to harvest some grapevine! That's a fine looking pen. I was ambivalent about the contour you chose at first, but when I see it open with the cap posted, I think I might prefer it to a straight contour. It gives the straightlaced Zen some more personality, and it looks very comfortable to hold!

I live near a touristy community where I consign some pens in a boutique. Wine is a big deal there, and they are adjoined to a ritzy, uh...wine cellar? Anyway, I think a pen made of local Texas grapevine would be a big hit. I'm thinking maybe segment in a diagonal band of curly maple or such, stained with some of the local red table wine. Then I get to drink the rest of the "stain!" That's two birds with one stone right there. Yeah, the wife's sure to be thrilled with this plan. "Turning these pens has given me the worst headache!"

Band Saw Box

Passed Away Dec 8, 2021
In Memoriam
Very nice pen, that one thing I love about making pens unlocking the hidden beauty inside a blank. Great fit and finish.

OZturner

Terrific Pen Dave,
Excellent choice of the Zen. It displays the blank to perfection.
Superb Fit and Finish.
Did you test the moisture content of the 5/8" vine before turning?
If not, do you think that 6 months was long enough for it to air dry?
Great idea and execution.
Brian.

Top Bottom