Grape Prickly Pear Cactus!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from MesquiteMan

Status
Not open for further replies.

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
One more before I go to bed. This is a Platinum/Titanium Sierra made with one of my Prickly Pear Cactus Blanks. This is a somewhat grape colored resin with a little metallic swirl added and the the inside painted black. This is not one of my regular colors but is one I am thinking about adding. What do you think?

20077266558_grape_cactus1.jpg

20077266627_grape_cactus2.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
Thanks for the comments everyone! I enjoy playing around with new cactus blank colors. You should see some of the ones that have not made it into pens!

Jim,

I am still finishing mine au-naturale. I go to 4000 or so MM and then use turtlewax polishing compound followed up with Hut plastic polish and a coat of carnuba wax. They are not super glossy but they are as glossy as I want them.

As for voids, I do run across some small ones, maybe the side of a grain of sand, on occasion. I just fill them with CA and keep going. If you are having problems with voids in any of the blanks I have made and feel there are too many or too big, PLEASE be sure to let me know and I will certainly stand behind them and send you new ones as replacements.

stevers

Curtis, as usual, that is gorgeous. Love the color. Love the choice of kits and platings. I hope to be able to do that some day. By the way Curtis, I PMed you with a question. Thanks in adv.

EeyorIs21

http://www.wwmag.net/pricklycactus.htm

Artists can make a dye from the fresh red fruits, or by squeezing the small cochineal beetles (Dactyopius coccus) that hide within a white fuzz on many of the cactus pads.

Another interesting site: http://www.northwestweeds.nsw.gov.au/prickly_pear_history.htm

So apparantly most of dye(s) was from the little bugs that feed off the plant and produces a red color. But I remember when we were younger and used to knock off the purple fruit and try to cut it up and eat it. The coloring of the purple fruit would get all over your hands. It didn't come off right away either. I want to say our hands were a slight shade of purple for 2-3 days.

I am guessing you probally used something else to get your purple color on this blank(which looks great), but was wondering if this(fruit for coloring) was something you might have already tried or thought to try?

I would guess that the color would probally be a ligher shade and more transparent, if it works, and depending on how much you add to the PR.

Draken

Robert,

Curtis uses Alumilite resin, not PR. Alumilite resin is very intolerant of moisture, so for the colorant from the fruit to work, you'd have to collect a lot of it, dehydrate it down to a powder, then further dry it to remove all traces of moisture. It may work, but I'm not sure the payoff would be worth the work involved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom