Granite Cigar

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from RAdams

RAdams

Banned
This is my trade pen for the PITH. It is a Gold Cigar kit with a Synthetic Granite blank. Took me ALOT of time to make this bad boy!

Attachments

• PITH PEN FINISHED.jpg
    PITH PEN FINISHED.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 328
  • PITH FINISHED CLOSEUP.jpg
    PITH FINISHED CLOSEUP.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 219
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

kinggabby

My tongue was starting to leak a little red stuff. My left eye was twitching. And my typing fingers ( all three of them ) starting to shake violently. But I held my peace.

Wild Turkey

Ron,
Prettty good looking pen, however are you sure this is granite? Looks like Tumbleweed Corian to me. May be granite since there are a few "pits" in the top part of the pen, or looks like there are. Anyway sure looks like Tumbleweed to me as I love that texture and look of that material and use a lot of it.

RAdams

Banned
Yeah, I am sure. I have worked with Corian quite a bit, and also really like the workability of it. This is not Corian. A corian pen would have turned in about 20 minutes. I spent HOURS and HOURS and HOURS turning this. I had to sharpen my tools so often, I left the grinder turned on. 2 minutes of cutting, followed by 2 minutes of cooling. two or three cuts, and time for some more sharp. There are holes in the material. I left them unfilled on purpose. I had to re-finish it once to get the desired effect.

RAdams

Banned
It is HEAVY. Probably twice as heavy as a regular Cigar pen.

It is not Tumbleweed Corian. I guarantee it, no matter what it might look like, it is Granite. If you don't believe me, cool, but don't try to argue with me about what the material is on this one because i know exactly what it is, where i got it, and who had it before that.

It came from a company in South Carolina called "Carolina Counter tops". It was a scrap from my best friend's remodel. He happens to be the youngest son of the owners of said counter top business, who specialize in Marble and Granite counters. I don't think they even sell Corian, and regardless of if they do or not, I know this is Granite. It does indeed have "pits" in both halves of the pen. I left them there on purpose. I have yet to turn a single piece of Corian that had a single pit.

Corian comes off the tool much quicker and easier than Granite. This stuff comes off in a super fine white powder as opposed to shavings. This stuff took 4 to 6 hours to turn one barrell as opposed to 10 minutes with Corian. This stuff fulled my HSS tools with two or three passes instead of two or three projects like Corian. Different characteristics, Different sanding properties, Different everything. It may look like tumbleweed Corian, but it is not.

Brooks803

It is HEAVY. Probably twice as heavy as a regular Cigar pen.

It is not Tumbleweed Corian. I guarantee it, no matter what it might look like, it is Granite. If you don't believe me, cool, but don't try to argue with me about what the material is on this one because i know exactly what it is, where i got it, and who had it before that.

It came from a company in South Carolina called "Carolina Counter tops". It was a scrap from my best friend's remodel. He happens to be the youngest son of the owners of said counter top business, who specialize in Marble and Granite counters. I don't think they even sell Corian, and regardless of if they do or not, I know this is Granite. It does indeed have "pits" in both halves of the pen. I left them there on purpose. I have yet to turn a single piece of Corian that had a single pit.

Corian comes off the tool much quicker and easier than Granite. This stuff comes off in a super fine white powder as opposed to shavings. This stuff took 4 to 6 hours to turn one barrell as opposed to 10 minutes with Corian. This stuff fulled my HSS tools with two or three passes instead of two or three projects like Corian. Different characteristics, Different sanding properties, Different everything. It may look like tumbleweed Corian, but it is not.

I think it looks great Ron. I admire the patience it took and the determination to get it done. Since I'm here in SC I was curious if you knew where in SC this place is. I grew up in a small town called GRANITEville so I'm somewhat familiar with the stuff. Anyhow I was just curious if it was anywhere close by.

OKLAHOMAN

Quoted form Ron's post:"It is a Gold Cigar kit with a Synthetic Granite blank."
Ron,
Prettty good looking pen, however are you sure this is granite? Looks like Tumbleweed Corian to me. May be granite since there are a few "pits" in the top part of the pen, or looks like there are. Anyway sure looks like Tumbleweed to me as I love that texture and look of that material and use a lot of it.

Top Bottom