The Grandmother's pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from micah

Status
Not open for further replies.

micah

My grandmother was over last weekend for my son's birthday party and saw a display of pens that I had recently done. She commented on how much she really wanted one and was wanting to know the prices of them. First off though, I said there wasn't anyway that I would sell her one! That's just wrong, no matter how you look at it.
So, I told her about them, the woods, differant styles, ect. I asked her if there was any kind imparticular she wanted, but, her being 95yrs old she really didn't have any idea. She just wanted one of my pens. Don't get me wrong though, even though she's 95 she is in pretty good shape. Still drives herself around town, lives alone, and really independant.
Well, anyway, this is what I came up with for her. It is a slimeline, pink ivory, 10k, with a Pink Tiger Myrtle band.
This is the first time I have experimented with turning my own band and I think that I really like it. In fact, I think that I will now be doing this with most of my slimelines.
Thanks for looking! And as always...any comments, suggestions, or constructive critisism is ALWAYS welcome and appreciated! Except about my spelling![}:)]
Thanks!
Micah

dsc01505a1ig.jpg

dsc01505a17jm.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Johnathan

What a wonderful gift! It does look like the clip end of the pen is not matching up clean to the centerband. Great choice of woods. I'm sure she will be showing it off proudly to everyone.

Rifleman1776

You are not only progressing rapidly in a short period of time. You have surpassed many others with your work. I could pick on a few things with this pen as it just doesn't suit my tastes. But, still, it shows creativity and innovation. I'm anxious to see what you do next. Whose Slimline kit is that? It is different than the ones I used to buy.

micah

Thanks everyone for you replies!

Originally posted by Johnathan<br />It does look like the clip end of the pen is not matching up clean to the centerband.
Yep, It's just a hair proud of it. I usually try to make it just about that much when using the metal centerband, that way if I sand a little too much you still feel the edge of the wood instead the edge of metal. The zoomed in picture does exagerate it just a little, but the feel of it is about right. The bottom part of the pen is the same way, but your not able to tell in the pic.
Thanks!

Originally posted by Rifleman<br />I could pick on a few things with this pen as it just doesn't suit my tastes.
Yes, I know, you hate the beading![:0][:D][;)] You sure it's not just because you can't do it?!?[:0][}:)][:D][:D] Just Kidding with ya!!![;)] Thanks for the kind comments fellow Arky!
Oohh...It is a slimeline beaded pen from CSUSA.

Thanks again everyone!
Micah

Randy_

Very nice work. But do try to remember that many of our senior folks have physical problems that make a small pen difficult or uncomfortable to use. If your grandmother is happy with the pen, that's what counts; but if it is going to be a user rather than a looker, a comfort pen or one of a larger diameter might be more appropriate??

micah

Thanks for your thoughts Randy! You are very correct, and if she did have a problem with athritis or such, I definantly would have gone that route.
I just got back from taking it to her. First I stoped by and had her name lazer engraved on it. It turned out very nice, and she loved it! Why is it everytime I give a pen to a family member though, they say they will put it up and not use it!!![:0] She said it was too nice to use, but I made her promise that if she really did like it, she would have to use it. She then said she would put it in her bible and take it with her everytime she went to church. I can live with that.[^]
Thanks everyone!
Micah

BigRob777

Micah,
Very nice work. I'm a real fan of pink ivory. I also don't often use the CBs that come with the kits anymore. I have been glueing the home made CB to the clip end, and not contouring it. When I do my next one, it will be contoured like this one. Mine are smooth, but it looks a bit goofy that way, sometimes. I like yours better than what I've done.
PS I'm shipping tomorrow.
Rob

GBusardo

I love Pink Ivory also, the pen came out great! The beads look like they are perfectly sized and shaped. What tool did you use to make your beads? Loved the story too. Thanks for sharing.
Gary

micah

Gary, just used a 1/2" skew. I learned the technique from a tutorial from YoYoSpin.
If you will do a search, you should be able to find it. If not, I'll look it up after work.
Micah

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom