Grandma's Cartridge Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from elwoodblues

elwoodblues

My grandfather passed away earlier this year and he had a 21 gun salute at his funeral. Each of the kids and grandkids who wanted one got one of the spent shell casings. I decided on the spot that I wanted to make a pen out of the casing for my grandmother for Christmas (my first cartridge pen.) Finally last week, I built up the courage to give it a shot. I will present it to her next week.

IMG_5090.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

elwoodblues

Very nice I am sure she'll love it.

Being how they use blanks and looking at the pen is the bullet end necked down or is that something you did yourself?

Basically I shortened the cartridge by grinding down the neck so that the total length matched the length of the brass tube. I've never done one before so I was concerned that just drilling it and gluing the brass tube wouldn't give enough support so I filled the cartridge with PR before drilling.

Daniel

Gives me knots in my stomach even thinking of trying to make that pen. Talk about irreplaceable materials. My hat is tipped to you for taking it on and you did a fine job. I am sure your grandmother will be pleased. much better than just having a casing rolling around in a drawer somewhere.

elwoodblues

Gives me knots in my stomach even thinking of trying to make that pen. Talk about irreplaceable materials. My hat is tipped to you for taking it on and you did a fine job. I am sure your grandmother will be pleased. much better than just having a casing rolling around in a drawer somewhere.

Honestly, the hardest part was finally getting the courage to "pull the trigger" so to speak and do it. I was EXTREMELY anxious about it for the very reason you say. I had it planned in my mind for a month or so and then finally decided that if I was ever going to do it, now was the time.

akbar24601

I'm not to big on the cartridge pens, but I do like this one. What special meaning behind it. I'm sure that your Grandmother will cherish it for the rest of her life. Great job!!!

Top Bottom