Gran Habano

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from OKLAHOMAN

OKLAHOMAN

Yesterday I posted in the casual conversation a thank you to James Skeen for the box and blanks and was told by my much better half that one of the blanks were to be made for her. She wanted a Jr. Statesman in Bk/Ty but after I turned and finished she used her womanly right to change her mind. While I was at it I turned another of the blanks.
So without further ado I present to you Diane's new pen and it's mate.
Her pen and blank are labeled #1. All comments good, bad, yes please if you see a flaw LMK or indifferent.

IMG_2455-2.jpg
IMG_2456-2.jpg
IMG_2464.jpg

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

IPD_Mr

I sure hope she is cookin up some good vittles as a thank you. :)

As a customer I would think that #1 would draw my attention. Having been doing this for a few years now I can appreciate #2 and like the finish you gave it a little better. It is going to look and feel more like wood. James is a class act and I think you have done his gift proud. Things like this is what makes IAP and this hobby a lot of fun.

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
Very nice Roy. I'm sure Diane will enjoy her new pen. As for me, I'm with John - my wife still likes a Bic:frown:.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
I think you need to work on the finish a bit more!!!:wink:

The shine on #1 totally blinded me in one eye only!!!. :biggrin:

Both are beautiful !!:wink:

omb76

I have to be the odd one out and tell you that pen 1 looks really nice and very classy, but my initial reaction to pen 2 was "wow!" Amazing work! Thanks for showing!

boxerman

2 very nice pens there Roy. I really like #1 pen. Nice pen box to and great pictures. Maybe someday I will turn a nice pen like yours.

patmurris

Really nice blanks and pens! Is this wood?...

My better half does own whatever i do before i even consider what to do with it, and she always chose the best, that i know! :rolleyes:

OKLAHOMAN

Phil, they are both from the same tree believe it or not. I had forgotten what they were to be honest so I PM'ed James and he reminded me they were Sweet Gum, now I need to repeat over and over SWEET GUN..SWEET GUM..SWEET GUM.:biggrin:
Roy, beatiful job on bothe of them. I'd like to know what kind of wood is the #2?

IPD_Mrs

Well Roy, #1 looks like the bottom has some chips in it down around the bottom so the end affect is that of chocolate dripping on the metal - you best just send it on to me and I'll fix it up and return it (maybe). #2 looks a little proud at the bottom, since that makes it very difficult to sell you can send that one along with the other and I'll keep the pair together :wink:

ALL KIDDING ASIDE -

Those are gorgeous pens. I am stunned that they are the same wood from the same tree! :biggrin:

You did a fantastic job, I personally (unlike the Mr.) am not as fond of the more natural finish generally, but it does look nice with that particular piece. I absolutely think that your "much better half" came out
THE DEFINITE WINNER IN THIS ONE!

Thanks for sharing, they really are beautiful pens and you did a great job on them.

LMK (yes those are my actual initials):)

jskeen

Roy; That's why I gave those to you, I knew you would make them look fab! I'm curious about the finishes, were they the same process that just turned out differently on the two pieces, or did you try something different on the second one. Both look great, but totally different effect. The gloss finish on the first seems to have darkened the wood up and made it look more like a tropical hardwood burl, while the second shows the actual colors better.

All those blanks are from the same tree, but 1 and 2 are from different chunks that were in different locations in the pile where they sat for a couple years till I noticed the colors. Most of it was too far gone to salvage, and I probably threw away 10 pieces for each useable blank. As you noticed, it's pretty soft punky stuff. I'll be trying some cactus juice on some of it as soon as I can afford a bottle. I'm curious how the pieces you send out for stabilization turn out vs the "half a bottle of thin CA each" method.

Now make sure you tune the nib up good for Diane's pen, and don't use the kit ink cartridge (just kidding :) BTW, I'm with her on the change from black TI to gold trim. It seems to pick out the lighter colors rather than emphasizing the black lines, and balances the wood better.

Last edited:

ctubbs

Roy, it is a very good thing that I took typing in high school and was forced to learn to tuopch type, otherwise, having ben blinded by the number one pen, i would have been unable to post just how wonderful they are. Beautiful work Roy, but for you, they are just average. Great quality and your wife made the right choice of parts for her pen. It is great to have craftsmen such as yourself for the rest of us to aspire to that level of art. Thanks for showing.
Charles

jttheclockman

Now Roy I am going to be a little different because I want to:) I love the blanks. They are spectacular and no doubt you did them proud. You could not go wrong with choosing anyone of them. But here is where I am different. The photos are not up to your usually high quality standard. I know you wanted to show the box off but it is not the right setting to show the beauty of the pens off in. To me the first pen looks out of focus. I know this is nit picking but you set the bar so high all the time. So that is my 2¢

wizard

Roy, Those are beautiful! Pen #2 has a natural appearance and satin type of finish to it. What did you do with # 1 ? Looks like you encased in glass. :wink:
Beautiful finishes! Roy, I'm sure she loves them. Regards, Doc

Top Bottom