got wood?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from betwisted

betwisted

I've mostly made acrylic pens since starting this back in January. I got in an order from PSI for their big ben cigar pens (variety pack) and decided to give a shot at some more wood pens. Attached are 4 of the big bens and a rifle bullet done as a request/suggestion from one of the local cops here in Henderson.

The first pen is in teak with 24kt Gold/Gun Metal hardware.

The second pen is an ebony with 24kt Gold/black enamel hardware.

The third pen is a Wenge in Gun Metal with 24kt accent hardware.

The fourth pen is a soft curly maple in Gun Metal with 24kt accent hardware. It is also a click pen which feels a little weird in a pen as big as the cigar is. But the overall look of the pen is beautiful.

The rifle bullet pen is in Gabon Ebony with 24kt gold hardware (copper bullet tip? maybe rose gold)

Thanks for checkin out my pens, and I hope the title of this post didn't offend :bulgy-eyes:

C & C welcome and appreciated,
Joe

Attachments

• HTP00031-35 - copy.jpg
    HTP00031-35 - copy.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 294
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

plantman

Joe. Unfortunatly we can not see the detail of your pens because of the deep purple background they are on. Would suggest a white background in future photos, or a mirror under your pens. Look in the library for tips on how to lite your pens to show them in the best possable way. Also work with your photo program, it's amazing what you can do with your photos. Looks like great work for just beginning !! Jim S

Uncle Toem

Ditto on the dark background. I came across a site via IAP where the artist/craftsman used a mirror for the background. Double + because of the icreased lighting and additional viewing area.
Your work looks excellent. Great choice on the varities of wood, gives the viewer a wide range of possibilities. Keep up the good work and we all look forward to seeing more of it!
Toem.

betwisted

Thanks for the comments and suggestions :)
I was most worried about the teak pen as the teak was really oily. I wiped it multiple times with acetone, and am hoping the CA will stick over time? Have any of you ever worked with teak? any pointers?

plantman

:bananen_smilies022:Teak: Tectona grandis, Linn.f. From the family: Verbenaceae. Other names mai, sak ,pahi, sagwan, tekku, kyun, sagon, tegina, tadi, jati, djati, gia, and thi. Indigenous to Berma, India, and S.E. Asia. Also found in East and West Africa and the Carribean. Teak is generaly straight grained to wavy, course textured, uneven, oily to the touch, and sometimes has a white glistening deposit. Teak offers medium resistance to tools but a severe blunting effect on cutters. Tungsten carbide tipped tools are recomended. Gluing is good on freshly cut or sanded surfaces. Fine dust is a skin irritant, and I would recomend a dust mask when working and sanding the wood. Stains well and takes a satisfactory finish, especially an oil finish. Fresh cut wood turns darker with exposure to air and sunlight. It is extremely resistant to preservation treatment, but polishes up well. Dries well, but rather slowly. The few pens I have made out of teak, I just used a wax finish on. They tend to become dull with use and need rewaxing. The mottled teaks make beautiful pens. The leaves are the largest in the world, and so rough that the natives use them for sandpaper. It takes from 2-6 years for a teak log to reach the market place. Standing trees are girdled and left to die and dry out for three years before felling, than hauled out of the forest with elephants and buffalo because of the rough terain. Fresh cut teak will sink in water due to it's 45# per square foot weight and therefore can not be floated down rivers. Hope this helps you out some!! Jim S

Last edited:

betwisted

I didn't realize it had so many names...I guessing probably due to the regions in which it grows.

I'd like to add also that it smelled really good while I was working it :)

Joe

Top Bottom