Got Pump Did Stabilize!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from mhbeauford

mhbeauford

Got my Robinaire vacuum pump and with help from Curtis and his Cactus Juice ran my first batches of stabilization. Here are 6 pens made from my first tries. Left to right Spalted Sycamore, Curly Box Elder, Dyed Big Leaf Maple Burl, "Funky" Black Cherry, Spalted Red Oak, and Spalted Sycamore. The Spalted Sycamore is chatoyant even though it doesn't show in the photo. All are finished with CA 10-12 coats of thin.

Love the stabilized wood, turns really good and good finish right from the tool (carbide) so requires minimal sanding. Some of this wood would be very difficult to get a fine tool finish without chipping.

I'm HOOKED!:biggrin:

StabilizedPens1.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SDB777

Nicely turned!!!

Quick question, if you don't mind....

How much are you going to have to increase the prices to make up for the expenses of the stabilizing as compared to what you were getting before the 'juicing'?

Scott (can't go backwards in funding) B

mhbeauford

Nicely turned!!!

Quick question, if you don't mind....

How much are you going to have to increase the prices to make up for the expenses of the stabilizing as compared to what you were getting before the 'juicing'?

Scott (can't go backwards in funding) B

Looks like the blanks should sell for about $7 +. Depending on the wood used and how unusual or rare it is.

gbpens

Nice selection of unusual pieces thanks to your investment in stabilizing. Having expanded the number of such pieces I seriously doubt that you will have to increase prices to cover the investment. Increased sales should more than offset the price of the equipment. While Curtis covers his costs he offers us the opportunity to expand our offerings. Sounds like a win/win.

Top Bottom