Got a little too excited! MiniCone

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from jmbaker79

jmbaker79

Perhaps got a little too excited with this one, and skipped a crucial step! Back Painting! I have been saving this bronze dream mini cone blank for probably a month. Decided to go ahead with it, and just rocked it out! Realized it after turning the cap, and decided to just roll with it opposed to what? soaking it in acetone to remove the tube? Custom finial to match, not that you can see it in the photo well. anyway, the tube is very obvious, but thought id show everyone how to not make one of these! more of an educational experience. Ended up as a gift to the Mother in law for her birthday yesterday, she loves it, but you know how i feel about it im sure! Comments welcome, keep your critiques to yourself! Just kidding! I did turn this between centers, one of the first tbc, with a caliper, but missed the mark a little on fit, perhaps not a good experiment blank! Thanks Guys!

Attachments

• _MG_7674.jpg
    _MG_7674.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 424
  • _MG_7682.jpg
    _MG_7682.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 337
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

longbeard

Thats very nice, i like how gives off different colors. Nice subtle curve to the body too. Great job.
i cant see anything wrong with the fit from the pics or the tube.

Harry

Last edited:

jmbaker79

Looks good from here. Glad you passed on the acetone, it would have done a number on the resin too.

That's what I was thinking.. And dont think ca would appreciate any mouisture in those minicones. Any advice in removing a tube in such a situation? Just received another minicones in the mail today so another in the near future!

Buzzzz4

That looks great! Nice turning and finishing. If you have extra tubes around, you can drill the tube out, paint and then put in a new tube. Thanks for sharing it.

renowb

Beautiful pen! I've had that happen on occasion. Depending on the size of the brass showing through, I dremel it out, add a mix of shavings with CA. Then, keep on truckin'.

Top Bottom