Got a case of CAS.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from dougle40

Status
Not open for further replies.

dougle40

CAS.------ Can't remember Squat !!!

I got in a new batch of kits and this was one of them , a European pen . As I always do , I measured the kit parts because I thought that it would be the same as a Mont Blanc (which I have a bushing set for) but the centre band was a little bit larger , so I stuck that fact in my memory banks .
Unfortunately , I didn't GO TO THE BANK before I started to turn the pen and turned the centre part of the upper barrel undersize. OOOOPPPPPPSSSS [:I]
So I decided to see what I could do to save the pen instead of scrapping it .
I made another centre band from African Blackwood and drilled a hole in the centre of it to fit the lower barrel , glued it to the upper barrel and turned everything together .
TA-DA --- I saved it !!!!
The rest of the pen is Hondurian Rosewood .

ied%20European%20with%20Center%20Band%20001-1%20sm.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Good recovery!
I very often will part off the lower section of the upper blank on purpose.
Drill and mill a section of whatever I feel like and glue that to the upper barrel.
To get a recessed look, a coutersink or use a chamfering bit inside the upper barrel to hide the union of both pieces.
The next time you have a brain fart like that there is another fix to resize for the ring.
Set some wax paper on a flat surface.Set the tube tenon side down on the paper and mound baking soda around the tube so that it is making contact in all areas.
Drizzle some thin CA as close to the top of the baking soda as possible.
Don't worry about the smoke I have never had it flare up.
The resulting mixture will be as hard as a rock and will bond to whatever it touches.
Turn the blank round after it cures and complete the tenon.
I got this from a CA site but I am not sure which one it was.
BTW it won't be clear so make sure the ring will cover it.

dougle40

Thanks for all the replies . This just might be one OOPS that becomes a regular item for me . I agree that it looks better that the regular CB .

Turn the blank round after it cures and complete the tenon.
Eagle,
The problem wasn't the tenon , it was the O/D of the barrel .
What I did was to drill out the Blackwood to the size of the tenon and glued it on (just as you would the CB) then turned it down to match the O/D . The top of the lower barrel had to be taken down a little too so that it would fit inside the CB as it should .
Thanks for the tenon trick though , just may get a chance to use that some day !!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom