Gorgeous lowly pine

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from DB in VT

DB in VT

This pen was a rescued pine board. I saw the potential in this piece of wood that sat outside in the weather for decades outside the sawmill that cut it.
I stabilized it with cactus juice to try to hold the knot in place. There were still some voids that need to be filled.
Turning was a slow process. The knot was much harder than the surrounding wood. It actually came apart during assembly. I very carefully disassembled it and remounted the tube on the lathe. Re-glued the piece back into place, stripped off the finish and started over.
Reassembly was done very carefully but successfully. I hope you like it.

Attachments

• IMG_4586.JPG
    IMG_4586.JPG
    256.8 KB · Views: 289
  • IMG_4587.JPG
    IMG_4587.JPG
    253.6 KB · Views: 261
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Lovely colors in that blank !!!

You chose one of the most challenging pen kits to put such a delicate blank on ... the Executive with its very thin walls at the ends (less that 0.030").

Hubert H

NICE I have made some nice blanks from pine wood where a branch came out from the trunk. One wood I have come to really like. You have made a NICE pen.

DB in VT

Another challenge was the amount of pitch that the knot still held. After several hours in the toaster oven the blank was covered with pitch. I wiped it off as best possible with acetone and back in the oven. Three different times I wiped down the blank before it finally ran dry.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

SteveAxelrod

I'd agree with everyone that all the effort and time was worth it in the end. That's a unique looking pen and became so only because of your insight and perseverance. Well done!

Top Bottom