PR Casting Experiment

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from davidrei

Status
Not open for further replies.

davidrei

Cigar pen, myrtle burl with PR casting, CA finish. This was sort of successful, but not completely. I cut the shapes using band saw and dremel. Worried that bubbles might get stuck in some of the nooks & crannies, I used pressure casting (40 psi for 10 mins). What didn’t quite work was the fact that as PR cures, it shrinks a little, so the sharp point near the nib came out rounded. There are also a few tiny voids due to poor planning on my part (didn't weigh the blanks down enough, the lower blank floated a little too much). The rest of the wood/PR edges came out OK, though I could have been a little more precise in making the decorative cuts. Next time, I'll avoid sharp corners, straighten the cuts a little better, and use a more lustrous pigment in the PR (the flat color was intentional this time, but

20062771910_PR_Cast_1.jpg

20062771935_PR_Cast_2.jpg

surprise surprise, it came out looking like plain plastic [V] Any comments appreciated.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

alamocdc

Interesting concept, Dave. I'm generally not too thrilled with mixing organics with synthetics, but something like this could have it's uses. Nicely done!

JimGo

Interesting idea. I agree with the others that I'm not too fond of this particular implementation, especially the upper barrel, but it has some really interesting possibilities.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom