Good screwup

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from KD5NRH

KD5NRH

Split out a small chunk at the end of a mesquite blank, started to toss it, then realized I had a bit of antler about the right size, from a shed found about 50 yards from where I harvested the wood. Turned the wood down to the brass, drilled and trued up the antler, glued it on, and it came out better than expected.
Mesquite and antler slimline.

That piece was an offcut from the antler for this mesquite and antler Classic Rollerball.

Problem is that now I keep wanting to do it all the time. Gotta get a lot more antler. Fortunately, this is a great way to use up the leftover bits from trying to get longer straight-enough-to-use pieces.
Oak and antler cigar.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jaeger

Nice screw up. You don't want that sitting around so you might as well send it to me !-)
Those are all nice. I especially like the cigar pen.

I blew out some antler pieces when I first started using this material for pens. Some of these pieces are really nice and luckily I saved all blow outs. I planned on doing the same segmenting (kind of) and I will post some pictures.
I also have some "premo" antler that I will not cut until I have the exact right components to use. One of the problems that I find is, when I want to keep the "bark" I need a larger style pen than I am usually making. Segmenting some pieces will stretch my antler supply and the antler is just a nice contrasting color and adds significance for a lot of people.

Doug

Last edited:
Top Bottom