Good bye 2014 - my way!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from sanyalsoumitra

Some time back , I had read a fine advise on FPN or IAP forum- what to to do with older pens you had made earlier, that looks crude and inaccurate in retrospect.
Well, the advise is to break them and re-make- sort of, salvage the usable hardware and scrap the rest.
It is quite a hard decision to make for an amature pen maker, who tends to be in love for any ugly thing he had created in the past!
Finally I relented- re-making all the ugly ones made in the past and the results have have impressed me in a big way. The confidence gained is simply wrth it - so re-make and make good your past.
This is also a very meaningful new year resolution for me. Hope the lesson learnt stays with me and 2015 works out a better year to spend with family and friends.
Started off with two Graduate Magnetic ones made earlier-these were too awkward any way!.
In the Gold one re-used the old wood and in the Chrome one discarded the body as the cap cracked. Yet to complete the Chrome Cap due to minor trouble with correct size drill bit availability.
The wood is from different old shelves and packing material from my earlier ships- Phillipino seafarers call this wood " BaluChina" - some high fibre wood from china,no one could give me a genuine English name for the wood. In the incomplete one I have discarded the brass tube from the kit and used an aluminum tube.
Used 3 coats of thin CA available locally named " feviquick" ! Did not try to make the pen too shiny with more CA coats. These pens are yet to be technically perfect, meaning I would not dare sell them yet.But quite an OK make over from where it stood.
Welcome comments.

Attachments

• IMG_0001 (3).jpg
    IMG_0001 (3).jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 225
  • IMG_0004.jpg
    IMG_0004.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 170
  • IMG_0005.jpg
    IMG_0005.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 156
  • IMG_0006.jpg
    IMG_0006.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 129

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
great story and nice post! I have a huge supply of "carry pens" (those obviously less than prime-time!).

Have a great New Year!

Finally completed the remaining cap- this small little piece of wood had brittle resin areas inside and gave me a lot of trouble to finish- cracked at two places, But I have retained the same for its looks, bonded up with a lot of CA glue, still there is a small crack remains to fill up.

Attachments

• IMG_0001.jpg
    IMG_0001.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_0002.jpg
    IMG_0002.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_0003.jpg
    IMG_0003.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_0004 (2).jpg
    IMG_0004 (2).jpg
    42 KB · Views: 87

Krash

This definitely a great exercise to go through although keeping at least one of your original "uglies" is good so you can judge your progress. I look at my first few pens and see where I cut corners or just didn't know how to make it better.

For me, I think your next step in your pen-making progression is to work on your profiles, i.e. straightening up your lines. The somewhat bulbous ends into the center band and caps are a little awkward. I passed through that stage also thinking I was being artistic and going to invent some new amazing looking pen. I kinda thought the straight lines were boring. But, classic shapes are classic shapes for a reason. They have been time-tested for the best balance and good looks. IMHO, they produce a much more professional look.

Great job assessing your past work and wanting to improve though. We all need to do this from time to time.

Happy 2015 turning!

Last edited:
Top Bottom