The Good, the Bad and the Angry

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from alamocdc

Status
Not open for further replies.

alamocdc

This is the good. Afzelia burl on platinum hardware, CA finish. Okay, so it's only a lowly SL, but I have a lot of requests for them. It really isn't as stubby as it looks. I think it's a perspective thing because my pen rest is a bit cockeyed.

200592841343_SLplat_afzelia_burl.jpg

This is the bad. Stabilized Redwood burl w/hard Maple burl CB, homebrew lacquer based FP. So why is it bad, you ask? I noticed a hairline crack in the lower barrel on the transmission end when I was buffy the Ren Wax (yes, by hand ;)). It must have happened when I pressed the tranny in, but I've never had that happen before. Nib assembly, yes. Finial, yes. Tranny, never. They aren't that tight, and neither was this one!

200592841729_SLredwood_burl.jpg

And the angry is ME! :(:(:( Because this WAS a very nice pen, if I might say so myself. Now it's just junk!

Thanks for taking the time to look and read my rant. As always comments and criticisms are welcome.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimGo

Sorry Billy - if it makes you feel any better, I know how you feel! And, at least they both look great from this distance!

Fangar

Billy,

Sorry to hear about the crack, but you can fix that thing easy. Just take her apart, glue her up and re-finish. That pen is well worth the effort. I have a very thin transfer punch that fits right through the hole of a 7mm transmission and easily knocks the nib out. 8 bucks at HF for a set of 1 million (OK maybe about 30).

Fangar

alamocdc

Thanks, guys! James, I have the set. I'm just not too sure I'll be able to get this one apart. It took more pressure to press the nib assembly in than I have ever seen for a SL. I actually had to use my DP to seat it because my bar clamp wouldn't. Which is also why the crack at the opposite end surprised me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom