Golf Ball Stand

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Cwalker935

Cwalker935

I am part of a group that organizes a memorial golf tournament for a former co-worker who passed away from cancer. We raise money for his daughter's college fund. She was only months old when he died. My primary role is to make prizes for the winning team. I bought some logo golf balls from the course where we hold the tournament and have started making some desk stands and pens. My early efforts:

Mahogany:
IMG_2376.jpg

Sassafras:
IMG_2377.jpg

Tees cast in alumilite displayed in the sassafras stand:
IMG_2378.jpg

IMG_2379.jpg

Thoughts? Tee or no tee? Stick to all wood? Acrylic stand? I need 4 prizes.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

keithncsu

How ironic that this post came up! I've helped organize a golf tournament for our Men's Ministry at church in November and have been asked to make trophies out of some old wooden driver heads. Hadn't thought of incorporating a logo'd ball from the course in the overall design. (I'm not a golfer so that wasn't as obvious to me as it would be to most I presume)

Woodchipper

They all look great. I think the thought behind the tournament would be foremost in the minds of the golfers.
If it were my golf ball, it would need to be in water or sand.

"I don't know anything about the game, but I know all the words."

Noot17

I would agree with Mark. I like the all wood stand with the pen having the tee design. Makes it a little ironic that the tee is on the ball instead of vice versa.

Either way they look great!

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

keithncsu

Just went through cutting up wood driver heads to find usable wood. Better think about making it part of the base or a pen holder as the head is chock full if screws, bored holes and weights.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Correct. I should've added more detail. The "trophies" were going to be a pen with the driver head as the holder.

keithncsu

I finally got around to finishing my trophies that I mentioned above. The golf tournament was this past weekend and the trophies were a hit! I ended up not getting the driver heads with enough time to get pens done too. The bases are made from some local live edge Ash that fell during Hurricane Matthew last year. The driver heads were acquired from local thrift shops.

View in Gallery

View in Gallery

View in Gallery

View in Gallery

Last edited:

Mortalis

I like the idea and these examples looks great. I prefer all wood.
As a golfer I would really get a kick out of the ball being mounted (glued) on a very short tee, maybe with some artificial turf just to cover the hole where the tee enters the wood base and then make a pen that sticks into the ball with either a flag on the end of it or a club head.
Perhaps ideas for next year's prizes.

Beautys_Beast

I prefer the ones with the Tee's as well. Just seems like a golf ball should be on the tee.

What is the trick to drilling the hole? Do you just drill a hole, or do you fill it with anything?

keithncsu

Lucky2 - I agree that the tee should have been shorter. However, I asked my wife's input and she overruled :)

Beautys Beast - If you're asking about mine, I just drilled the hole closes to the tee size and then partially filled with CA. I waited for those to set up before I put the balls on.

ajollydds - Thank you! That means a lot coming form someone on this forum!

OZturner

Magnificent Concept and Execution Cody,
I am also a "Tee" man, I think they look Great.
Congratulations,
Brian.
Keith, I think your Desk Trophy is also Inspiring, and Brilliantly Executed.

Top Bottom