Gold Ti Apollo Fountain Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from gerryr

Status
Not open for further replies.

gerryr

This is one of PSI's new kits, the Apollo in gold titanium. It is obviously a take-off on Berea's Churchill, which I really like. It has more plastic than the Churchill which isn't bad, but it just doesn't look right when you combine satin plastic with shiny metal, in fact it looks kind of cheesy as far as I'm concerned. I have three more and will finish those but I think I'll stick with the Churchill. The decorations on the posting cap and CB don't appeal to me much, probably just too much of a "pen snob." The wood is, I think, Huisachi from Eugene, finished with CA.

200812134928_Apollo.jpg

Thanks for looking and thank to those who comment.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

scubaman

Passed Away Jun 20, 2018
In Memoriam
Originally posted by gerryr
<br />It has more plastic than the Churchill which isn't bad, but it just doesn't look right when you combine satin plastic with shiny metal, in fact it looks kind of cheesy as far as I'm concerned.
Say what??? Where do you have plastic??? The only plastic on this kit are the cap threads which are hidden!

LanceD

Nice job on the pen Gerry but I'm not a fan of that kit either. I agree with you on sticking with the Churchill.

gerryr

Originally posted by scubaman
<br />
<br />It has more plastic than the Churchill which isn't bad, but it just doesn't look right when you combine satin plastic with shiny metal, in fact it looks kind of cheesy as far as I'm concerned.
Say what??? Where do you have plastic??? The only plastic on this kit are the cap threads which are hidden!
Rich,
The end cap on this one felt like plastic and was black inside as well, but I checked the others and the end cap is shiny black on the outside and definitely metallic inside. The nib coupler is entirely plastic although so little of it shows that it doesn't matter. Also both the Olympian and Apollo kits I got will accept a Schmidt/Bexley converter, and I know that wasn't your experience. Maybe they made some changes from the production run you sampled?

scubaman

Passed Away Jun 20, 2018
In Memoriam
<br />[The end cap on this one felt like plastic and was black inside as well, but I checked the others and the end cap is shiny black on the outside and definitely metallic inside. The nib coupler is entirely plastic although so little of it shows that it doesn't matter. Also both the Olympian and Apollo kits I got will accept a Schmidt/Bexley converter, and I know that wasn't your experience. Maybe they made some changes from the production run you sampled?
On the Apollo, the only plastic is the cap threads, and they are completely hidden. I thought in a rather nifty construction that I hope we will see more of. The coupler is metal.

I'm really surprised. Everyone keeps screaming for more metal, less plastic, and it appears to be a sign of quality to many. Then there is a kit like this that has nearly all metal, and I find statements like yours... Personally, I like plastic! Metal is weight...

The initial production batches of the Olympian definitely had a problem that they were not aware of, and fixed right away. That's good! What I had was not some sample or pre-production, just kits from the first shipment. If the Olympian consistently posts like that first one I had, I consider it an improvement over the El Grande. Until Berea fixes theirs ;-)

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
I don't think the kit is THAT bad, Gerry. Perhaps a gaudy kit just needs a very plain blank. On your second reply you said that the end cap was shiny. Is that the one on the cap and the one on the body?
If both are indeed shiny, then I think that kit would look pretty good with a black PR too. I would save cool looking wood like that one for plain kits. If you don't want the others and will take Paypal, then I'll give two of them a try.

Oh, I agree, the pic IS good too[:D]

PR_Princess

<br />This is one of PSI's new kits, the Apollo in gold titanium........it looks kind of cheesy...... probably just too much of a "pen snob."

Cheesy? <b>Cheesy</b>???? Thanks a bunch! Aren't we a little testy after a Packer loss?[:D][:D][:D]

Generally, I am a fan of greco-roman design. On this occasion though, I do have to agree that the kit is overdone. It's not easy to make a classic design gaudy, but PSI did do a good job of it.

LOL and "pen snob" Gerry??? I don't think that anyone could ever call you that. You really need to pick the winning team to back for the next game. Sheesh!!! [;)][;)][:D]

gerryr

Packer loss? What did they lose? As far as picking the winning team, I did that when the Jets whipped the Colts in the Super Bowl a couples of centuries ago. I quit while I was ahead.[:D]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom