Gold Leaf Custom Majestic Pair

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from wiset1

wiset1

Okay, so I just had to try my hand at casting some gold leaf and this is the result. Pretty simple really, but there's some crazy impact going on here with the leaf ranging from the tube to surface. It really adds dimension to the overall look of the pen. These were pretty fun to make with minimal voids to fill. I have another one I hope to post tomorrow when I finish. Hope you enjoy.

Before shot showing the corn flake look:biggrin:

6215474979_303d9946d8_z.jpg

The finished shot with on a Majestic kit :biggrin:

6267343069_c05a908835_z.jpg

Now for the money shot :eek:

6267349647_06f123afd7_z.jpg

Larger images can be seen on my member IAP gallery linked below or my flickr site. I hope you all enjoy and feel free to ask questions.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wiset1

I have a black mixed one that I'll be finishing tomorrow. Just a couple voids I want to fill.

pensmyth

I like the blue one, can't wait to see the black one when your done. I tried casting with a mixture of gold, silver and copper together. I sizes the tubes and rolled it in the leaf material then burnished it and cast it with clear PR. I like your way of casting a whole lot more. Did you just mix the leaf into the resin and if so how hard was it to get it to "flow" around the tubes?

wiset1

I like the blue one, can't wait to see the black one when your done. I tried casting with a mixture of gold, silver and copper together. I sizes the tubes and rolled it in the leaf material then burnished it and cast it with clear PR. I like your way of casting a whole lot more. Did you just mix the leaf into the resin and if so how hard was it to get it to "flow" around the tubes?

Pretty easy really...I heated the resin in a bowl of super hot water to thin it out a bit and then poured the gold leaf into the resin while still in the heat. After I was sure everything was coated I added the drops to harden the mix and simply poured around the tubes. The leaf seemed to stay suspended in the mix so I didn't really need to do anything to position the look. It's easier than it looks:biggrin:

wiset1

They look awesome. The green one is simply AMAZING. The cobalt blue has perfect contrast.

I put some of the gold glass beads onto the green tube and a thin layer of pearl finish over the green before casting the gold leaf. It adds a different look and a complex dimension to the overall look. It was a test that really seemed to turn out. Not sure if I could do it again, but this one time it worked:)

Drstrangefart

They look awesome. The green one is simply AMAZING. The cobalt blue has perfect contrast.

I put some of the gold glass beads onto the green tube and a thin layer of pearl finish over the green before casting the gold leaf. It adds a different look and a complex dimension to the overall look. It was a test that really seemed to turn out. Not sure if I could do it again, but this one time it worked:)

I bet you could do it again. Next gold leaf blank I get I think I'm gonna try the poor man's version and reverse paint it forest green. It won't hold a candle to that one, but it should look pretty cool.

wiset1

Still kind of new at this turning thing myself! Been doing this for just over a year now so with that being said....just try everything, have fun, and don't hesitate to ask the members of the IAP questions. Best wishes

wiset1

Thanks again everyone! These really are some of my favorite one...., but they truly are easy to make unlike some of my segmented pens. I may do a couple more just to use up my gold leaf.

wiset1

Not even close to the stuff you do, but it was still fun to try. I just picked up some freaky stuff today that I want to try casting so keep an eye out...when I find time that is, ha ha ha.

wiset1

Thanks Jeff...watching guys like you, Jonathon, and Curtis really pushed me to try casting. So Thank you for the inspiration

wiset1

I would asume so...I'm pretty much self taught between, youtube, the IAP, and books. Any time you have someone you can learn a craft from is a good bet. Run with it and see what you learn.

Top Bottom