Gold dyed curly maple blank from Ron Mc.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Skye

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skye

Turned great! Looks almost like candy. Finished with CA and TSW. It's called gold dyed curly maple, but I forgot. Centerband of boxelder burl.

First time using TSW, now I'm :( it's discontinued!

curl002.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

OKLAHOMAN

Originally posted by Skye

First time using TSW, now I'm [:(!] it's discontinued!

Wow! great looking finish, I just recived two jars and I know how you feel[V] hate to lose a great product

Skye

I dont really know what's up with that band. Same thing happened near the nib. The nib area was trimmed with a pen mill. The centerband was cut with a 'parting tool' made from some junk mini tools. My guess is what I did didnt agree with the curl and grain. I turned the whole thing down a little more to try and work past it but apparently it's across the whole cut surface. [:(!]

Skye

Not quite sure what your asking, if you mean the length of the CB, I just eyeball what I think looks good.

Dario

Amazing looking pen. It almost looks like stone!

If you can clean the twite things off the joint areas (on your next) pen...it will be a stunner. BTW, are you putting thin CA on the blank ends after end milling?

Skye

Yeah, I put it on the ends. This was a VERY stabilized piece. I think the stabilized wood fibers acted funny when I removed part of it with my crap tool. Almost like cracking fiberglass in half.

its_virgil

Hey Skye,
I like the look around the CB...looks classy. That's the first thing that caught my eye...and it was a good "caught". But, sounds like I'm in the minority. Great pen: keep'em coming. I saw Ron's new blanks the other day and they all look great.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
<br />I dont really know what's up with that band. Same thing happened near the nib. The nib area was trimmed with a pen mill. The centerband was cut with a 'parting tool' made from some junk mini tools. My guess is what I did didnt agree with the curl and grain. I turned the whole thing down a little more to try and work past it but apparently it's across the whole cut surface. [:(!]

reed43

Looks like to me you fixed it just right. I would not change anything. Great pen!!!!!

clement

<br />Turned great! Looks almost like candy. Finished with CA and TSW. It's called gold dyed curly maple, but I forgot. Centerband of boxelder burl.

First time using TSW, now I'm [:(!] it's discontinued!

curl002.jpg
Beautifull pen Skye, i like really [:p]. that blank is very nice.
Just a question, what is TSW [?] sorry but i'm ignorant [:(]
clem

Jerryconn

Totally awesome!! The wood almost doesn't look like wood. I think it looks great the way it is. Is the CB made to overlap the lower barrel?

Skye

Thanks for all the comments guys [:I]

Clem, TSW is Trade Secret for Wood. A product that's now discontinued (long story) but I'm hoping will make a comeback.... soon!

Jerry, no they just butt up against each other. I just use the pen mill on both ends and they have seated together nicely so far. You probably jinxed me, so now I'm screwed.

Caramel, being Halloween a caramel apple sounds gooooood!

mick

Skye,
I really like what you've been doing with the slimline pens. The shape you're using is very pleasing and gives them a totally different look. Are you parting off the area where the center band goes and and then adding the contrasting wood? Or building the blank before turning?
The discoloration near the CB doesn't take away from the pen as, if my colors are true on my comp, it's almost the same color as the CB. I sometimes get a discoloration from my pen mill not being sharp enough and it'll "burn" the wood......but that's nearly always a darker color. Maybe it had something to do with using CA on the ends ? Who knows......anyway totally good looking pen!!!

twoofakind

Skye,
It seems some people like the CB and some don't. I for one think it looks great. It almost looks planned like you tried to fade the darker wood into the lighter wood. Superb finish as usual.
Andy

Skye

Thanks guys!

Mick, I use a mini skew I ground down to make a parting tool of sorts. Not the best tool, so that may be part of it in combination with this type of grain.

John, I've been using the bushing for a toothpick holder. I put that in the center, then turn to be a little larger than that bushing calls for. The lower end gets turned to match the side of the bushing that goes inside the toothpick holder's brass tube.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom