Gold Desert Ironwood Cigar

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from rlh

Status
Not open for further replies.

rlh

2005430164527_Gold%20Desert%20Ironwood%20Cigar.jpg

This is a Gold Ironwood Cigar Pen which I turned to be presented as a gift to the outgoing President of a Volunteer Fireman's organization in October. It was my first time working with this wood. I found it an easy wood to turn but it sure has a nasty odor (reminds me of dog breath) that just won't go away even after the finish was applied. Any suggestions to get rid of this odor will be greatly appreciated! Thanks for looking.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
I experienced the same thing, Richard, only is smelled more like urine in my opinion. I had to air out my work space as even the dust collector didn't remove the smell. A lacquer finish eliminated any smell on the pen.

rlh

Originally posted by rtjw
<br />I like the rings by the center band. Nice design. Did you plan it that way.

Yes I did Johnny. The other side is plain gold color which is perfect for laser engraving...no infill will be needed. Thanks for the compliment![:D]

Ben

This is a Gold Ironwood Cigar Pen which I turned to be presented as a gift to the outgoing President of a Volunteer Fireman's organization in October. It was my first time working with this wood. I found it an easy wood to turn but it sure has a nasty odor (reminds me of dog breath) that just won't go away even after the finish was applied. Any suggestions to get rid of this odor will be greatly appreciated! Thanks for looking.
[/quote]

you might try putting the pen in a plastic bag w/ some aromatic cedar. Maybe one wood will overpower the smell of another??? I have never tried this, but it just sounded good. drive safely.....

Ben

B

Bill Baumbeck

Richard,

The odor of gold desert ironwood will go away if you leave the turned blanks sit for a day or two before you apply any finish.

Desert ironwood is not known for its pleasant fragrance. Thuya burl smells like pencil erasers, amboyna burl has a spicy smell, sandalwood is in a class by itself and gold desert ironwood smells like pig poop. Look at it this way - Mother Nature has a sense of humor!

And remember - nobody promised you a 'rose garden'!

BB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom