Gold Cigar dressed up in Corian

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Band Saw Box

Band Saw Box

Passed Away Dec 8, 2021
In Memoriam
How that the Monsters I created.....I mean the Grandkids are back home I can get some shop time to make a pen for me. Someone sent me the Corian blank sometime back and I've been putting off turning it. I knew it would be nice to turn thanks to Mike (navycop) who showed be how to turn it and helped me with my first Corian pen. I like the coloring of this piece and IMHO it a nice match with the gold. I wet sanded from 1500 to 12000 MM and finish with Hut Plastic Polish. All C&C are welcome.

Attachments

• IMG_0001.jpg
    IMG_0001.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 226
  • IMG_0002.jpg
    IMG_0002.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 228
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rossvh

I've not turned Corian. I assume it is heavy - like antler. Very nice looking pen - and well done!
Ross

Argo13

Dan,

Did the blank come that size or did you have to glue it up? All of the Corian I have is only 1/2 inch thick. So I only have made slims with it. You did a great job with the cigar.

Jason

Band Saw Box

Passed Away Dec 8, 2021
In Memoriam
Thanks JimS, Ross, Jason and Big for your great comments. Ross Corian is heavy, this pen weights 57 grams a wooden and acrylic cigar I made was about 54 grams and they have about the same shape. Jason the blank was about 3/4" X 3/4" x about 6"

Last edited:

Band Saw Box

Passed Away Dec 8, 2021
In Memoriam
Thank you so much Mike, Brian and Derek for you nice comments. I know I could have entered the contest but I really did feel like entering this one.

Band Saw Box

Passed Away Dec 8, 2021
In Memoriam
Thanks Brett. It was a fun pen to make. I was showing it off at work this evening. Some one ask how much it was selling it for.. I told them and they ask how much did it cost you make? I ask them why they were asking? They said well if it cost you $$ to make i can't see paying you $$$. You have a point. I then said Nice phone you have...how did you get Apple to sell it to you for what it cost them to make. They just smiled and said I had a better point and said they would think about it.

Nice pen

How that the Monsters I created.....I mean the Grandkids are back home I can get some shop time to make a pen for me. Someone sent me the Corian blank sometime back and I've been putting off turning it. I knew it would be nice to turn thanks to Mike (navycop) who showed be how to turn it and helped me with my first Corian pen. I like the coloring of this piece and IMHO it a nice match with the gold. I wet sanded from 1500 to 12000 MM and finish with Hut Plastic Polish. All C&C are welcome.
I like working with corian. Was it a 1 inch piece or did you have to glue it? I only found one , one inch piece and cut a few blanks out of it. I didn't like and made the look of it so I put it up for about a year. the I segmented it and made 3 pens .All on crome cigar kits The first was gray with black ends. Showed my pens to my grandson's father-in-law and told him to take his pick. He didn't have to choose. Didn't even look at the rest. The next two have red ends on them and one is my carry pen.
If you have some more of that color. we might do a trade?

easyer to write with

At this time I'm really not sure if I'll make one for the contest. Jim it weighs about 57 grams or 2.0 ounces.
I was a route salesman all my life and sold and watched the bic pel make its day-beu. I used on for awhile ,But at the end of the day my fingers would hurt from writing and having to go threw three copies.I had a friend give me a heavy pen. I loved it and never used a bic again.

Band Saw Box

Passed Away Dec 8, 2021
In Memoriam
Frank and Tony, thank you very much for your wonderful comments. Frank I only have one very small piece ( 3/4" × 1" ) not really big enough for much of anything.

Top Bottom