Gold Amboyna Burl Jr Gent

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Old Griz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
For your approval a Gold Amboyna Burl Jr Gent RB in Platinum...
This blank was only 5/8" square, so I had to drill it on the lathe.. a little too small to take a chance on the drill press with a piece this pretty...
Finish is sanding to 1000 grit then 2 coats of cellulose sealer sanded to 12000 and then 6 coats of spray lacquer cured for 5 days and polished with automotive polishing compound and anti-swirl cream, then 2 coats of Ren Wax. I'm hoping the Enduro finish comes out this nice without having to wait a week for the lacquer to cure.. ;)

200569161916_GoldAmboynaJrGentRB.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dario

Very nice pen Tom! I should mill what little Amboyna Burl I have and try it.

BTW...you have to teach me how to drill on the lathe. Do you chuck the blank at the headstock and the drill bit is on the tailstock or reverse? I pressume you are using a Jacobs chuck to hold the bit (unless you are using the MT2 drills). If it is as I described it...do you move the entire tailstock or just move it forward slowly with the crank? What speed do you set your lathe on and how many times do you usually clear the hole?

I know, too many questions but need to learn it especially with expensive and nice blanks.

Still can't afford a nice DP and with the central A/C breaking...it might not happen anytime soon.

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Dario, I use a set of pin jaws for my SuperNova chuck.. they are long and hold the blanks very nicely..
I then use a Jacobs chuck in the tailstock and move the bit to just in front of the blank and use the handle on the tailstock to advance the bit into the blank, I clear the bit about every 1/2". When I get to the end of the tailstock travel, I advance the bit into the blank, lock down the tail stock and use the handle to advance the bit the rest of the way through the blank... on my 1236 Jet I generally use the first or second speed... don't want to go too fast... also make sure that the bit is starting at the center of the blank...

Dario

Sound simple enough...now I just need a #1 jaw for my Talon [:D]...in the mean time, I will play with 2 piece wooden "clamp" I can use between the #2 jaws and the blank...experiment and see if it will work.

Thanks Tom!!!

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
I sold it last night for $150... I was tickled pink over the price... I have a customer who loves exotic burls... Gotta love people with money.. [:p]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom