It was going to be mine . Emperor

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from alxe24

Status
Not open for further replies.

alxe24

I wanted to make this pen for about a year. I recently got the components and decided to make it. I took my time to inlay the stuff a few stars and stripes a day. I took it to work to show it to the guys and before I even put ink on it someone wants it. I told him it was not for sale, it took him over a second of twisting my arm and I had to exchange the pen for $250 [}:)] I'm pretty happy about it.
I need to make one more for me now.
Thanks for looking

200762184539_American-pen-02.jpg

200762184551_American-pen-03.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Tanner

Very nice job!! Like you, I have a couple of those that I've been wanting to do. With July 4th coming up, I think you have just motivated me to get these done. Awesome as well.

alxe24

Originally posted by jtate
<br />That's beautiful!
I've wondered how you inlay the stars. Care to share the secret?

You could do as I did. Cut each of the 50 stars by hand and the stripes as well it took me months to cut the recess spaces as well but it pay to do it.[:eek:)][:eek:)][:eek:)]
Or you buy the kit from ken. I used thinned down Titebond glue and a hobby knife to grave them (There is a tutorial about this pen on woodturning magazine) old one but is there. I did not use metal to turn it (don't tell anyone) I use sand paper all the way.[:D]

200762202619_American-pen-01.jpg
<br />

underdog

Very nice work! I'm not sure I'd have taken $250 for it though. I'm sure you had a lot of time in this.

I did not use metal to turn it (don't tell anyone) I use sand paper all the way.

Funny you should say this. We had Jim Duxbury over to the club the other day, demonstrating "centerless" turning (a staved kaliedoscope). Once he had it roughed out, he got the belt sander out, and went to work with it. Didn't take long for it to be a very round cylinder...[:p] First time I've ever seen THAT!

gerryr

Very good execution on the pen. That said, I think it's way over the top. I personally don't think that pen looks good with a fancy blank like that, like trying to gild a lily. JMHO

alamocdc

Very nice example, Alex, but I think I have to agree with Underdog. I don't think I could have let it go for $250. I get that for a rather plain Emperor (if there is such a thing). Any blank that I have that much work, or cost in, contributes significantly to the price. But if you're happy with it...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom