God Bless Texas!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Kunk35

Kunk35

ry%3D480

A word of caution if anyone uses the Texas flag blanks from PSI, I am finding they are very difficult to work with. I've had several crack out no matter how careful I was during drilling, and several have "blown out" while turning. They look pretty nice if you can get one finished though.

This one might look a little thinner in the middle. That was due to a bubble or gouge that occurred. There is a tiny little trace of it still there that I didn't want to sand out any deeper. Was afraid I was getting too close to the tube.

Kory

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Kunk35

I haven't talked to them. I just figured it was what it was. I saw last night that it's made in Taiwan, so I chalk it up to "you get what you pay for". I wish I could find a supplier of the same thing made in the U.S. Seems like I'm cheating to buy a Texas flag blank made in another country.

Ed McDonnell

You could switch to a texas flag decal blank cast in PR or Alumilite. More than a few members here might be willing to make them for you. It might also help clear up the reaction you are having to the chinese plastic as you turn it.

Ed

Kunk35

The odd small void or bubble can usually be invisibly filled with one or more layers of thin CA , taking care not to get air trapped in the hole .

This is the second post of yours that I've read today that has really good info in it for me. Thanks for the suggestions!

Kory

Skie_M

I've had a few instances where I found a small bubble or void inside the plastic .... I did the same thing, just put some superglue in the hole and let it cure, then get back to turning ... :)

Of course, this works with small bubbles or voids, but big ones would be an issue, and that may be the source of your problems in drilling. A few large bubbles or voids in the blank would cause a weakness in the material, and of course, it would blow out on you. Check the leftover pieces for small round voids that would indicate such a problem ... take pictures and send them to PSI and they'll probably send you replacements pronto.

Top Bottom