Gmelia Burl on Wallstreet II

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from edavisj316

edavisj316

I started this pen last Saturday. But spent the week in bed sick. We have some nasty stuff floating around here in SE GA. Well, I finally felt like getting in the shop for a little while today. So I finished it up.

I got the wood from a seller on ebay. It is the first wood that I have had to nurse along. Used a lot of thin CA while turning. The wood is pretty soft. I don't know if it would have been better to stabilize it first. But a stabilizing system is on my short list. Since I have seen where a lot of you guys say you just soke in the thin CA, I decided I would try it.

Have any of you worked with this wood and if so, how did you work it?

Ed<><

Attachments

• pens 001.jpg
    pens 001.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 235
  • pens 003.jpg
    pens 003.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 134
  • pens 005.jpg
    pens 005.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 143

toddlajoie

I had a piece of it that came in a pack of strange burls I bought from somewhere (might have been an PSI Asian combo about a year ago...I remember it had afelia burl {checked several times and it was listed as "aftelia" not "afzelia" in multiple places. Not sure if it is the same...) and Livinga Burl, in the set. Gmelia and Livinga are not seen much, at least by those names, but maybe they have other names...) I don't remember the Gmelia being any different than the others, or most other woods, but it has been a few months since I turned them. The Livinga did crack significantly in the month after it was turned, so that one is sitting in my "needing rehab" pile, but the Gmelia is doing just fine...

Top Bottom