Glitter Blank Pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from lhowell

lhowell

Bought some glitter blank pens and Saturn (aka Trimline) kits from Woodturningz. These were a "joy" to turn and that term is used loosely as they are acrylester and then they have glitter in them. So, take an extremely brittle material and add little flecks to cause all of these voids! I did blow out the bottom blank of the purple and had to cut a new piece off a different blank but you can't tell.

I did not realize how transparent the blanks would be as the thinner they became because I put a light up to them and they appeared to be very opaque so next time before I turn them I will probably paint the tube and drilled hole.

Comments and Critiques welcomed!

Attachments

• IMG_4827.jpg
    IMG_4827.jpg
    210.7 KB · Views: 256
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DJBPenmaker

Is the glitter evenly distributed in yours? I bought some from The Turners Workshop and the glitter was concentrated more to one side of the blanks making them unusable.
It's a shame about the tubes showing through and so the colours lack a bit of depth, otherwise looking good. Live and learn so they say.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

TonyL

Very nice; I do paint the tubes and blanks (even the black and the dark colors). I also coat with CA so my clients don't feel the glitter specks (they probably wouldn't care).

lhowell

Is the glitter evenly distributed in yours? I bought some from The Turners Workshop and the glitter was concentrated more to one side of the blanks making them unusable.
It's a shame about the tubes showing through and so the colours lack a bit of depth, otherwise looking good. Live and learn so they say.

Sorry to hear about the glitter being on one side. The glitter in these two blanks were pretty evenly distributed. Yeah, I more often than not when dealing with acrylics paint the tubes and holes unless I KNOW they are opaque. Definitely a live and learn on this one.

lhowell

Very nice; I do paint the tubes and blanks (even the black and the dark colors). I also coat with CA so my clients don't feel the glitter specks (they probably wouldn't care).

Great idea with the CA! I thought about doing that but I typically reserve the CA finish for Alumilite to bring out a more lustrous finish. I'll remember that next time!

eharri446

I am casting my own glitter blanks using Alumilite and metal flake paint additives that I get from a local company. I have two that I have done so far and will be turning them this week. I used white pen tubes from Woodcraft so the colors may tone down a little once they are turned. However, they really sparkle in the sun light.

DJBPenmaker

I am casting my own glitter blanks using Alumilite and metal flake paint additives that I get from a local company. I have two that I have done so far and will be turning them this week. I used white pen tubes from Woodcraft so the colors may tone down a little once they are turned. However, they really sparkle in the sun light.
Hope you let us have a look.

mikepet

Ya know what... you might try getting some Corian scraps and making pens out of those. They have a bit more depth to me and nicer colors. I don't really care for the blanks you used. They feel flat.

There are two examples, neither of which have the glitter that you are looking for, but if you look up Corian, you can see that there are tons of glittery-looking options.

These were my very first attempts with the stuff and it was pretty easy to work with

Attachments

• Pen1.jpg
    Pen1.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 117
  • Pen2.jpg
    Pen2.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 150
Top Bottom