Glenfiddich Anyone?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from its_virgil

its_virgil

Long story shortened: I received a phone call from a former student wanting a pen for his wife. OK, I can do that. Then he tells me she is from the Scottish Highlands, is getting a couple of advanced degrees in Scottish History/languages and do I have any wood from Scotland? Sure, I said. How hard can that be? He was very adamant about the wood being from Scotland. I emailed a friend in England and, long story short, he had connections and sent me oak barrel staves from oak trees from Scotland. Even better, the staves were from whiskey barrels used to age Glenfiddich single malt Scotch. From what I understand a very famous and very old brand of scotch from Scotland. Purchased a small bottle, had a box made and shipping out tomorrow. Enjoy and comments welcome.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Attachments

• IMG_0008.jpg
    IMG_0008.jpg
    263.6 KB · Views: 319
  • IMG_0009.jpg
    IMG_0009.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 204
  • IMG_0011.jpg
    IMG_0011.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 211
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Hi Don:

Good chance the barrels were sent from Kentucky! Most of the White Oak Charred Barrels used (can be used only once by rule to be Bourbon) in Kentucky are sent to Scotland.

All this week I'm the sober designated driver for my wife - she is an industrial chemist and loves small batch scotch, so her xmas present was to take her to the Bourbon Trail tours. I've seen my share of 105,000 gallon sour mash fermenting vats all this week. 8 tours down, 4 to go. Wifey is a pig in mud right now (and I mean that in the nicest of terms!) :)

Oh... beautiful Pen set!

tgsean

That is so awesome. May I also ask if you made the box? What kit is this? The pen and bottle, what a great idea. Fantastic, I love it

OZturner

Wow, That is something Special, Don.
Glorious Pen, Outstanding Case, and a great drop of Whisky.
You don't need to hear about how Great your pen is, you have heard it all before.
But that Presentation Case, is something else, it is Magnificent, Beautifully designed and constructed.
Congratulations to the Responsible Craftsman. Is it anyone we know?
Terrific touch to include the "wee dram", of the Glorious Whisky.
Brilliant.
Brian.

its_virgil

Thanks. I did not make the box. The box is another story. It was made by a friend of the fellow who sent me the wood. He is in Thailand. The box traveled from Thailand to England to me.

The kit is the Cambridge from Berea. Got my kits from Arizona Silhouette.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

That is so awesome. May I also ask if you made the box? What kit is this? The pen and bottle, what a great idea. Fantastic, I love it

Last edited:

its_virgil

Thanks. I have no idea where the barrels originated. I only know what I was told.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Hi Don:

Good chance the barrels were sent from Kentucky! Most of the White Oak Charred Barrels used (can be used only once by rule to be Bourbon) in Kentucky are sent to Scotland.

All this week I'm the sober designated driver for my wife - she is an industrial chemist and loves small batch scotch, so her xmas present was to take her to the Bourbon Trail tours. I've seen my share of 105,000 gallon sour mash fermenting vats all this week. 8 tours down, 4 to go. Wifey is a pig in mud right now (and I mean that in the nicest of terms!) :)

Oh... beautiful Pen set!

Top Bottom