Give me Liberty

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from TLTHW

TLTHW

Pencil that is. This is my first Liberty kit from WC and my first attempt at segmenting. Materials are Maple burl from an old clock, Mahogany from a pallet and color core laminate. It is also my first CA finish and first photo from my new light box. C & C always welcome

Attachments

• rsz_best_pencil.jpg
    rsz_best_pencil.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 258
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Dave -
Gorgeous work on the segmenting! And I am in love with the choice of woods - they complement each other VERY well! The laminate works well, too. AT first I thought the mahogany was padauk. Nice colors. An old clock and a pallet? You get the award for best "re" use of materials.

I also like the light box effect. Looks quite professional. BTW, the Liberty is a favorite of mine. Can't go wrong there, can you?

Not sure on the CA, though. Seems a "grainy" on the upper part of the mahogany - or is it just the pic?

TLTHW

Dave -
Gorgeous work on the segmenting! And I am in love with the choice of woods - they complement each other VERY well! The laminate works well, too. AT first I thought the mahogany was padauk. Nice colors. An old clock and a pallet? You get the award for best "re" use of materials.

I also like the light box effect. Looks quite professional. BTW, the Liberty is a favorite of mine. Can't go wrong there, can you?

Not sure on the CA, though. Seems a "grainy" on the upper part of the mahogany - or is it just the pic?

Thanks Ted, the grainy is just the pic. There is a small spot of wear just visible on the underside at the nib. I spilled acetone on it at work :mad: Still holding up well for a daily user on a cabinetmakers bench! :biggrin:

TLTHW

what were your techniques for applying the ca finish?

3 coats of gel Ca (all I have) applied with a paper towel at low speed. Accelerator used on each coat. Smoothed with 220 at high speed. Applied 1 more coat gel with accelerator at high speed and sanded with 400. Wet Micro mesh from 1500 to 12000. Applied and sanded all coats with the shop vac on to reduce smell and vapors.

TLTHW

Great looking pan and picture in my opinion. Wish I could find some pallets with mahogany in them....

I was able to snag 4 - 4/4 x 3.5" x 48" mahogany slats from a pallet that was to beat up to re-use. Didn't know how good the lumber was till I planed one down last week.

Top Bottom