Gimlet burl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from DCBluesman

Status
Not open for further replies.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
This is tough Australian burl I got from Lee Tannenbaum at http://www.leetreewoodworks.com/index.htm . This specimen has a large number of gum pockets, providing the turner with plenty of opportunity to practice on filling voids and tear-outs. This wood fought back to the point that it took, by far, more time than any pen I've made, however, I love the finished results.

200411281834_GimletBurlm.jpg

[8D]

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Adam

I agree the end result is very much so worth it i might have to try that stuff

adam

Darley

Yes Lou, Australian burl is very tricky, lost of void especialy on bowl blank, that why you have to keep your tools sharp and not to be in hurry when you turn it, lock yourself in the shop ( you will not be disturb )and nuture your turning you will have something stunning, like your pen, Beautifull, what's the pen kit? it's a Jr Gentlement?

Serge

wayneis

Lou the pen is really nice but ya just gotta get rid of that background. A plain white or black background really shows off pens and jewerlry the best. Think of looking at jewerlry, don't they always place it a piece of black or white velvet for you to view it? There is a reason and its not because they also own a fabric shop and over bought black and white velvet.

Wayne

dougle40

Wayne ,
While I agree that the background has to go , remember that a jewelery store is only showing pieces in 2 colors - silver and gold ,hence the black and white , while we are showing something very much different . I use red for the background for a lot of my photos and I think that it makes the pens etc. really pop .

2004121172445_Perfume%20Box%20Elder%20008%20-1-s.jpg
<br />

2004121172523_Luan%20Mahogany%20004-1-s.jpg
<br />

wayneis

Doug while I agree that red can be used, I have a hunch that if you took the smae pen and took pgotographs on white, black and red that red wouldn't be your first choise. This is not just my opinion, it is something that has been discussed on both penturning forums with most, most agreeing that white and black were the better looking backgrounds. More importantly though is that this is not a written in stone kind of thing, as it's a matter of personal taste. Afterall Lou may have a thing fot his sunflowers. There is nothing wrong with them as a flower or even their seeds, but personaly I just really don't care for them as a background.

Wayne

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
You know what, Wayne. I'm gonna give that a try and I'll post side by side pics...maybe even open a poll on the subject. I'd like to know, but didn't even know what I didn't know! [8D]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom