Gift Pens feathers and Autism Puzzle

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from JohnU

JohnU

I haven't posted any pictures in a while. Then again, haven't made manypens lately either. These were the last of my 2009 pens given as gifts. The first two were for a friend and his wife. He is an outdoorsman and they have two autistic children so I chose a pheasant feather blanks on a black ti / gold kit, and the Autism Puzzle kit from Exotic Blanks.com on a two tone chrome / satin kit. This was my first puzzle kit but had lots of fun making it. CA finish on the puzzle, both sanded with micro mesh and polished on the buffing wheel.

The second photo is a group of sierra pens made with duck feathers. My cousin is a very active duck hunter and asked me to make some pens for his hunting group. He sent me a bag of feathers and this was the end result. I tried to make them all different. I found duck feathers to be harder to work with. Theyre thinner and like to curl a lot. All comments welcome. Thanks, John

Attachments

• puzzle & feathers.JPG
    puzzle & feathers.JPG
    78.4 KB · Views: 480
  • Tims Ducks.jpg
    Tims Ducks.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 475
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mtgrizzly52

All of them are really sweet looking! I've not seen a puzzle pen done up and now that I have, I'm going to have to give it a try.

Also, IMHO I really like the duck feather pens. Can you imagine using wood duck feathers with all of their beautiful colors? WOW!

Nice Job!

Rick (mtgrizzly52)

miket812

Those are awesome, I would like to make a baron feathered pen but every time I look exotics is sold out or I am waiting for a pay check, go figure. I will get the chance one day I am sure, but these look beautiful. Thanks for sharing.
Mike H.

jttheclockman

John as always those feathered pens are outstanding. You do such a great job casting them. The casting is crystal clear and gives the feathers such depth. Thanks for showing and I am sure the gifts were well appreciated. I know I would be one happy camper.

OKLAHOMAN

John, the duck pens are down right awesome (pun intented) and the autism puzzle pen will always be special.

gwisher

Wow those are beautiful! How do you cast the blanks for the feather pens? I know a lot of hunters and am sure they would like one of those. I am new to this but enjoy a good challenge. I am thinking of making a couple puzzle pens for my wife, she does therapy with autistic children and I know she would love it!

Ligget

John your feather pens will go down in history, the first picture is fantastically clear and really shows how good your penturning is not just your casting skills!

JohnU

Thanks everyone for your comments. I really appreciate all the kind words and support. I just bought some new feathers and hope to have some amherst and silver pheasant blanks as well as a few duck blanks done soon. For all of you waiting for more blanks to be offered, I will be sending another box out to Ed and Dawn tomorrow afternoon. This cold front is keeping my shop way too cold and my resin way too slow to cure. lol

Last edited:
Top Bottom