A gift from Mr Wright

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from mredburn

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
A couple of months ago Mr Wright posted a pen made from English Walnut. I commented that it looked like oak.........

In response Mr Wright sent me this Sierra or clone, pen made with a fantastic English walnut barrel, a couple of English walnut pen blanks, a live oak blank and a couple of cut offs from an English oak board.

In my own defense I present a couple of pictures. The first has a piece of English oak ivory colored cut from a branch on top a piece of oak I have in the shop, two pieces of English walnut and at the bottom the live oak blank
e%2520walnut%25202.JPG

and again
e%2520walnut%25201.JPG

I have seen quite a bit of English walnut but mostly on high end gun stocks. Its interesting to see the similarities of the woods and yet the differences at the same time.

I was going to post his pen and a thank you much earlier but the bash and several other things kept delaying it.

The pen, a beautiful piece of English walnut.
wright%2520pen%25201.JPG

wright%2520pen%25204.JPG

wright%2520pen%25202.JPG

Looks like I owe him a pen and a Thank You. :)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SDB777

Wood ID is most difficult when you can't touch it through the 'net:biggrin:

I really like you did a comparison of them, and the finished product is outstanding...you mailing that one to him?

Scott

MrWright

Passed Away Oct 12, 2022
In Memoriam
Mike.. You did a great job in comparing the oak and E. Walnut. I was looking at the oak and see that the one you show is almost like the wine barrell oak I have been cutting. I also found that the Coastal Live Oak I have looks like the Lace Oak as well.
Anyway, it is fun to compare woods and I am glad you liked the pen. Frank

Top Bottom