Giant Sequoia on an Elegant Sierra

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Finatic

Finatic

Blank from Shadetree. Always nice wood to work with.

Sycamore Burl Elegane Sierra 001.jpg

Sycamore Burl Elegane Sierra 002.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ve3bax

looks great! the figure in those Sequoia blanks is incredible. I've turned a couple i got from shadetree as well and its amazing what hides below the surface.

Last edited:

jbswearingen

Beauty!

Thread jack...This brings up a question for me. A bit of confusion...I just turned a couple of pens out of wood that looks a lot like this. I was told by the supplier it was oak burl. Is this really Sequoia?

DPP_0318Small.jpg

jbswearingen

Looks pretty close to Sequoia. I hope Shadetree chimes in or one of the other wood guru's. BTW, great looking pen.

Thank you. It ended up going to the guy who got me hired at the company I work for now...he wanted me to marry his daughter. Funny the way things work out!

shadetree_1

Hi folks,

I got the wood " Sequoia" from a man here in Arizona, and he said his dad brought over 6 semi loads of the Sequoia from California to make furniture from in the mid 80s and he helped his dad make the furniture until he passed away and this wood is the 3 stumps (6' in dia and 12 foot tall) that his dad did not use and they have sat in his yard for the last 25 or so years, and I would think that he knows.

Thanks

joe

jbswearingen

I believe you more than the supplier, though I can't complain, as I got it for free! I thought it looked a lot different from other oak burl I've turned.

Top Bottom