Ghost of Christmas past

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Rifleman1776

Rifleman1776

While babysitting the grands, I noticed this pen. At first, I didn't even recognize it as one I had made. But, on inspection, I figured out that I had given this to my daughter-in-law as a Christmas present seven years ago. It was one of my very early efforts at making pens.
I'm horrified at what I see.
It is a European in Buckeye Burl. So far, so good.
But, I finished with Myland's and now the finish is completely worn off. I no longer use Myland's for pens.
The end of the blank is not square with the nib. I know I milled before turning but, obviously, failed to inspect the finished product. I now mill both before and after turning.
The ultra-fat, wasp-waist lower barrel is just plain ugly and uncomfortable to hold. I must have thought I was being clever. It is a disaster.
The upper barrel is a trifle fat, I would slenderize today.
The clip retainer and clip are, obviously, missing. Pity, it was a Caduceus (medical) clip. My DIL is a doctor. I am now thinking that it might be wise to use CA or Loctite on those for permanent retention.
All in all, it is an amateur train wreck, I'm pretty ashamed of it. Upside is that current work is light years better and I am able to recognize my beginners errors.

Attachments

• old pen.jpg
    old pen.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 416
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jkeithrussell

Yep, it's ugly. The clips are either gone or loose on every single Slim that I made before I started tacking them down with Epoxy. CA will ruin the plating, but Epoxy can be wiped off before it sets. I don't know why newbies always want to do the big bulge. Some of my early pens have a fat bulge too. I think it has more to do with being nervous about bringing the stock down even with the bushings than it does with any artistic outburst. Surprise her with a replacement!

Rick1708

I know of what you speak! I was so proud of my first pen. I displayed it for a while as a keepsake from a proud moment. It now is in the back of the desk drawer so no one can see it. I'm no expert now, but have come a long way.

tbroye

Frank

Like said before we all have start some place, I have a bunch of Euro and Slims that I won't sell or give away until I disassemble them an refinish and reshape them.
Suprise her take it home and fix the issues with fit and finish. I did to a couple of early pens and the people were very happy with the better looking pen.

Chief Hill

It is a beautiful pen really well done Aahhhemm. Ahh good job there. Lol I agree it's a start from the past. Bust her apart and redo it. Or keep it as one of your firsts

BigguyZ

It is a beautiful pen really well done Aahhhemm. Ahh good job there. Lol I agree it's a start from the past. Bust her apart and redo it. Or keep it as one of your firsts

I agree. Take it apart and redo it properly.

But keeping it as an example of the poor workmanship some penmakers have is not a bad idea. If you do fairs, show it as an example of an inferior pen, and you can speak to why your pens are so much better. Never mind that the inferior pen was made my you. ;)

Jgrden

Don't feel badly. I saw that one of my pen points protubed about 1/32 too far out the nib. I didn't want to take it apart but couldn't show the pen the way it was. So, off came the nib, easy. Then stuff the rod down the barrel and the whole tube started to come out. So, what the heck, I punched out the entire tube with the transmission. Then I put it in a vice to try and break the transmission loose - no dice. Then I tried channel locks and broke the darned thing. Had one transmission left so I glued the tube back in and set the transmission in. It turned rather tightly and wouldn't you know that when I put the top back on there wasn't enough friction to turn the transmission, it just spun. So it is sitting in the rebuild pile, fortunate that it didn't find itself in the trash.

Top Bottom