Getting there, not right yet.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from toolcrazy

toolcrazy

Wife and I whipped up some Japanese chiogami paper pens. This is a first for me. First paper cast, first using Alumilite and my first using resin saver molds. Both have some minor issues. The blue one is cut too short so I need to shorten the refill to make it work. Then the red one I lengthened it out a bit, which fixed the length problem, but when I turned it down, I found a flaw in the casting. There is some crystal looking haze in the upper part near the clip.

I don't know if Alumilite is the best for this kind of casting. But, I am learning a lot. And Curtis is right. It is easy to use. Just make sure your ratio is a perfect 1 to 1.

Attachments

• IMGP0698.jpg
    IMGP0698.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 227
  • IMGP0699.jpg
    IMGP0699.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 246
  • IMGP0700.jpg
    IMGP0700.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 180
  • IMGP0701.jpg
    IMGP0701.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 185
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

pianomanpj

It almost looks like the resin pulled away from the paper a little bit, leaving a void. Perhaps this occurred during assembly? If so, maybe the tube wasn't perfectly clean. If that IS, in fact, a void that goes right to the end of the tube, than perhaps you could try putting a little thin CA on the edge and see if capillary action draws it in and fills the void. Since I haven't done this, I can't tell you how successful it would be, but it might be something I would try. If it doesn't work, just refinish the tube and you're right were you were before.

The one caveat I can think of is making sure CA and Alumilite play well together!! I don't think there would be a problem but you might want to check with an Alumilite guru!

toolcrazy

Thanks for the kind comments.

The crystallized spot on the one pen was there before I assembled it. Personally, I don't think it is an issue, but the wife thinks the pen is un-sellable. You really have to look hard to see the spot.

Top Bottom